Vespasian "Large AE" (As?) Minted in Ephesus (or Uncertain Asia Minor Mint), Ceres Seated.

Marsyas Mike

This recently came my way via an eBay seller in Latvia (shipping time, June 21 to July 5 - not bad at all).  It intrigued me because it was a Vespasian AE with imperial titles on the reverse, which seemed strange.  Turns out, it is an as-dupondius-sized AE minted in Ephesus (RIC) or an "Uncertain mint of Asia Minor" (RPC).  

It's not pretty, but seems to be rare; I could only find one other example online, the one used on RPC online.  OCRE lists it too, with no examples shown; the OCRE site shows RIC 1498 and 1499 with identical descriptions - so why two different numbers?  OCRE frustrates me this way from time to time.  RPC Online links RIC 1498 only. 

The only illustration (RPC) has the reverse SC in the exergue; mine is in the fields ("C" only letter visible).  Otherwise it seems to match pretty well.  

Anyway, I know there are some real Flavian authorities out there and I was wondering if I was on the right track with my attributions.  Here are the only links I could find on this:

http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.2_1(2).ves.1498

http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.2_1(2).ves.1499

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/2/1472

Here's mine:

250490180_Vespasian-EphesusasCeresJun2022(0).jpg.35a6b396704d60ed2d2c01f797a8e8eb.jpg

Vespasian            Æ Large (As?) (77-78 A.D.) Ephesus (Uncertain Asia Minor Mint)  [IMP CAESAR VESPA]SIAN  AVGVS[TVS], laureate head right / [PONT MAX TR PO]T P P · COS · VIII [CENS], [S] C in fields, Ceres seated left, holding two corn-ears and torch. RPC II 1472; RIC II 1498/1499. (11.99 grams / 28 x 26 mm) eBay June 2022   

Notes:  OCRE list RIC 1498 and  RIC 1499 with identical descriptions but no examples for either; RPC Online references RIC 1498 only and Kraay 3.  RPC has single example with SC in exergue; this one has it in the fields (C is behind Ceres; S not visible).  Dots and line over VIII reverse not noted in references but visible here.

Here's the sole example I could find with an image (RPC, link above):

352697294_Vespasian-EphesusMintAsCeresseatedleftRPC1472refRIC1498-RPCpic0.jpg.56fd8ce7c7f7a6cf0b5e5bdc3c2a16ac.jpg

If anybody has any other information, examples, etc., please share.  Corrections to my amateur attributions always welcome!  

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, curtislclay said:

I have one like yours, different dies, also S - C across field, not in nice condition but a little better than yours.

I'd like to post an image, but unfortunately have never learned how to photograph coins....

Hello Curtis - I am really glad to hear there's another "SC in fields type" out there!  Thanks for sharing.