Licinius ASIS IOVI - do you have one ?!

Heliodromus

When I started collecting this was one of my must-have coins, and I was lucky to find two fairly quickly:

image.png.f9865e150301487b3c8cd4378bab180f.png

The key here isn't just any Licinius I IOVI type from Siscia, but this specific issue with the officina in exergue (ASIS, etc) rather than in field.

Since i got mine I've been casually (so must have missed some) on the look out for more, but have never noticed any, so I've always been curious just how rare these are ... Does anyone else have one of these in their collection ? There are two officina delta specimens (unlisted) on the Not In RIC site.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/notInRic/7sis22.html

The reference for this type is RIC VII Siscia 22, which RIC dates to 316 AD, with no other coins in the issue. The thought behind this dating/grouping was presumably was that this was a wartime issue which is why Constantine was excluded from the issue, hence also pre-caesars so no Licinius II.

I think RIC got this wrong, and this type (RIC 22) in fact belongs to the first coins issued by Constantine c. 317 AD after he took Pannoniae (incl. Siscia mint) and Moesia (incl. Thessalonica) from Licinius as part of their post-war settlement. It belongs with the issue RIC VII Siscia 36-40 which includes Constantine I (Sol) and all the caesars.

There's some interest here in that we have Constantine issuing a Licinian/eastern type, IOVI, although not the first or last time he would do this. He also seems to have done the same in 317 AD from Thessalonica, so should be no surprise to see him having done same here.

• Like 6

It is an unusual example and perfectly understandable why it was a priority for you. I do not have that variety and the Emperor is not someone I collect. However, I do have a Licinius, mainly because it was cheap, but also because it is explained and  mentioned by NotinRic.

RIC VII, SISCIA [after 11], LICINIUS I, UNLISTED OBVERSE LEGEND
OBVERSE IMP[L]ICINIV[S]AVG [IMP LICINIVS AVG]; head r., laur. REVERSE IOVICON-SERVATORI [IOVI CONSERVATORI]; Jupiter stg. l., chlamys across l. shoulder, leaning on sceptre, Victory on globe in r. hand; eagle with wreath to l. B in right field. SIS in exergue.
NOT IN RIC UNLISTED OBVERSE LEGEND. Not attested for this issue. RIC lists only longer obv. legends: IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG and IMP LICINIVS P F AVG (p. 422). Coin should be listed after SISCIA 11
20.3mm, 2.53gr

20230322_160416(2)-side.jpg.4f0b6b01e31f271f79d69bdd02b7c759.jpg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, expat said:

Not attested for this issue. RIC lists only longer obv. legends: IMP LIC LICINIVS P F AVG and IMP LICINIVS P F AVG

Yes - always interesting to see these transitional or exceptional legends to see what the thinking was!

In this case we (presumably first - with multiple bust types) have longer legends for both Constantine and Licinus - IMP CONSTANTINVS PF AVG, IMP LIC LICINIVS PF AVG - then shortened to IMP CONSTANTINVS AVG and IMP LICINIVS [PF] AVG. The Licinian legend presented two options for shortening it (drop LIC, or drop LIC + PF) - I wonder what the actual order was that was given?!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

The Licinian legend presented two options for shortening it (drop LIC, or drop LIC + PF) - I wonder what the actual order was that was given?!

A tongue in cheek possibility was that he was no longer Pius Felix in mind. So dropping the pious happy reflected the mood of the time.