Happy holiday

Didier Attaix

Hello everybody,

I wish you a very nice holiday season and the very best for new findings in 2024. I am attaching a rare hand coloured woodcut engraving of Braun & Hogenberg of Cairo dated 1585 (the only French version). Recently bought on Drouot, Paris, for nuts with a crazy depiction. I not only collect antiquities, but also maps or engravings of the 16-17th centuries. The sphinx and the Gizah pyramids are in the lower right corner. It is clear that Braun & Hogenberg never visited Cairo. These two Germans published many views of European cities, but very few elsewhere. The pyramids are too much steeper to fit with an accurate depiction.

All the best,

Didier

Cairo_Recto.jpeg

Verso.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 3 months later...

Ow!  Sorry for having missed this post until just now!  That map is Just Brilliant.  I used to collect old paper, mostly ephemera and odd volumes, mostly running from the late 16th into the 18th centuries.  ...Argh, true to form, having trouble finding .jpgs of anything.

Interesting how the pyramids more closely resemble the (thank you, much later) Meroitic ones in modern Sudan than the early Pharaohnic originals.  Granted, presumably pure coincidence; hard to imagine would be more familiar with those than the ones in Egypt.

undefined

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramids_of_Meroë 

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1