GRATIAN / S D * GRATIANVS / GLORIA ROMANORVM / ΓSISC / RIC IX Siscia 14C, type xvi ?

Paul Sasso

Hey everyone, brand new to this site and any ancient coins in general. Somewhat experienced in more modern US coins but I can throw that right out the window with this avenue of currency. I tried my best to identify this coin and looking for some feedback regarding they the type/rarity/value on this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the glare in the coin, they have been soaking in oil and its hard to remove it all from the surface. Thanks in advance 

Screenshot_20231124_155749_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231124_155721_Gallery.jpg

• Like 4

I don't have access to the printed RIC references, but looking on OCRE I'm thinking maybe subtype xiv ?

Online Coins of the Roman Empire: RIC IX Siscia 14C: Subtype xiv (numismatics.org)

It's a little hard to see exactly what the letter is in the right field but it looks more like a 'D' to me. The mintmark is a bit obscured too. I see SISC but can't see what, if anything, precedes it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Edited by CPK
Typo
  • Like 1