Septimius Severus: Joyous Times at the Circus Maximus

Curtisimo

While I am flattered that some people remember me kindly, I have nothing new to share except the same old 500 or so SS coins many/most of which you have seen over the last 25+ years.  

My 'new' coin is actually a type for Julia Domna with Herakles on the reverse.  It was gifted to me by a kind friend as you already know.  All I have to offer is swapping the obverse of Domna to the left side. 😁

I am always happy to receive notes on any coin subject.  I don't get here to see posts as often as I'd like but spend more time with my photography hobby.  It costs as much as the coins and returns enjoyment without selling things.  I am in the process of selling/giving away part of my collection of catalogs and books but am not planning to dump coins yet.  I still enjoy them but have no plan to buy more.  

What, more specifically, would you like me to post?  I have relatively few Rome mint coins.  I assume you all know that Curtis Clay sold his coins to Harlan Berk and they have started appearing in HJB lists.  If he had sold his collection five years ago, I would now be in the poorhouse.  Timing is everything. 

pk1135aa2897.jpg

• Like 6

Another fantastic writeup, @Curtismo, love the interesting coin type, the progressive illustrations of Rome, the information on the Circus Maximus, the provenance, ....just excellent.  Here's a fairly recent Severan addition: : a Rome mint Severus with a portrait that I believe is from his first issues (193) from Rome as the portrait looks like a combination of Pertinax, Septimius and even a hint of Albinus.

SeptimiusSeverusEarlyVictory.jpg.10df00437100cdc7ffa8df9340b96d3e.jpg

Septimius Severus (193-211) AR denarius, AD 193 (1st issue). Rome, 3.18g, 18mm.
Obv: IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, laureate head of Septimius Severus right
Rev: VICT AVG TR P COS, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm
Ref: RIC 22; BMC 30; RSC 682

@dougsmit your always informative, thought provoking & educational posts are missed...and many gifts to those who read them remain appreciated.

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/22/2023 at 10:42 PM, Sulla80 said:

Another fantastic writeup, @Curtismo, love the interesting coin type, the progressive illustrations of Rome, the information on the Circus Maximus, the provenance, ....just excellent.  Here's a fairly recent Severan addition: : a Rome mint Severus with a portrait that I believe is from his first issues (193) from Rome as the portrait looks like a combination of Pertinax, Septimius and even a hint of Albinus.

SeptimiusSeverusEarlyVictory.jpg.10df00437100cdc7ffa8df9340b96d3e.jpg

Septimius Severus (193-211) AR denarius, AD 193 (1st issue). Rome, 3.18g, 18mm.
Obv: IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, laureate head of Septimius Severus right
Rev: VICT AVG TR P COS, Victory advancing left, holding wreath and palm
Ref: RIC 22; BMC 30; RSC 682

@dougsmit your always informative, thought provoking & educational posts are missed...and many gifts to those who read them remain appreciated.

I have always been attracted to the first year Septimius portraits and certainly those few that remind me of another of the contenders of that year.  These are a random sampling of styles an not at all inclusive of what is out there from 193 Rome. 

ri3580bb0899.jpg

ri3660bb1277.jpg

ri3720bb1347.jpg

ri3810bb0280.jpg

ri3880b02040lg.jpg

ri3910bb0880.jpg

ri3980bb0339.jpg

ri4030bb1121.jpg

ri4050b01076lg.JPG

ri4060bb0526.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

On 11/22/2023 at 7:33 PM, dougsmit said:

While I am flattered that some people remember me kindly, I have nothing new to share except the same old 500 or so SS coins many/most of which you have seen over the last 25+ years.  

I’m just happy to see you posting Doug. One thing I know for sure is that I definitely haven’t  seen all 500 of your Septimius Severus coins. Your Septimius sub-collection is larger than my entire ancient collection. 🙂  

• Like 2