Elongated coin machine

expat

Today, on a visit to the town of Nijar, about 50minutes drive away, I saw my first ever machine in South Spain for elongating a coin. It was outside a pottery shop. In this case it took a 5 Euro cent piece and there were 4 designs to choose from. I chose a lizard which you see all the time here. I don´t know where they got the machine, but it impresses the word Salamander on it,

20231004_150359(2).jpg.1a68c2de92a74a095877ed4178ed0289.jpg

Next was the symbol for Almeria, the province in which I live and work. It is called the Indalo, after the rock painting discovered inside a cave and was dated to the late Paleothlithic era, 12,000 BC.

20231004_150552(2).jpg.d302a4601e954a237265ef10249e9171.jpg

Lastly, a Pita tree. The spiky green branches at the base were for many uses. Up until 100 or so years ago, Almeria had a plantation of 30,000 acres of these, which only take 10 years to mature. They seed themselves so they were a continuous supply. First the leaves were squeezed for the liquid to make Tequila. Secondly, the leaves are fibrous and when separated into strands form what is called sisal. When dried and weaved together, they supplied the shipping industry for all the ropes. The pulp of the left over skin of the leaves was boiled and the resulting liquid was sweet to the taste and used as a sweetening agent.

20231004_150137(2).jpg.aa6dce261234bb4487f341a8733340e8.jpg

Thanks for looking and reading

Today, on a visit to the town of Nijar, about 50minutes drive away, I saw my first ever machine in South Spain for elongating a coin. It was outside a pottery shop. In this case it took a 5 Euro cent piece and there were 4 designs to choose from. I chose a lizard which you see all the time here. I don´t know where they got the machine, but it impresses the word Salamander on it,
attachFull1582057 
Next was the symbol for Almeria, the province in which I live and work. It is called the Indalo, after the rock painting discovered inside a cave and was dated to the late Paleothlithic era, 12,000 BC.

attachFull1582058 
Lastly, a Pita tree. The spiky green branches at the base were for many uses. Up until 100 or so years ago, Almeria had a plantation of 30,000 acres of these, which only take 10 years to mature. They seed themselves so they were a continuous supply. First the leaves were squeezed for the liquid to make Tequila. Secondly, the leaves are fibrous and when separated into strands form what is called sisal. When dried and weaved together, they supplied the shipping industry for all the ropes. The pulp of the left over skin of the leaves was boiled and the resulting liquid was sweet to the taste and used as a sweetening agent.
attachFull1582059 
Thanks for looking and reading
  • Like 10

I believe the machines are made in the USA @expat Before moving on from FUN last year my wife and I visited Gatorland in Orlando and I saw one embossing alligators onto cent coins. I have seen them in the UK too but remember seeing one in a "museum" at Niagara Falls around 30 years ago. I use the word "museum" without recommendation. 

I have some of these from some obscure places and will try and find them and post them sometime. 

I can remember an argument many years ago that these were illegal as they were defacing "coinage of the realm" but the counter argument was that there was no fraud involved unless of course you consider paying $1 to convert 1 cent into a new artefact. These may cause some confusion for the numismatists of the future. "Did Disney mint their own coinage???"

• Like 1

This gives me a chance to post again the only elongated coin I have that cost more than £1.01. I believe it's one of the first. 

World's Columbian Exposition Elongated 1889 Liberty Head Nickel, 1893
image.png.991ca86feee9d1aa2205605c1b32fd86.png
Chicago, Illinois. Copper-nickel, 5g. COLUMBIAN 1893 EXPOSITION (Martin-Dow ILL-WCE 1c). Under coin: Philadelphia. Large V in centre, representing Roman 5, with wreath; UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, E PLURIBUS UNUM, ·CENTS·. Head of Liberty with 13 stars around the head, representing the first 13 colonies/states; LIBERTY (KM 112; Martin and Dow Variety 1C: No Stars, “1” of date between “P & O” of EXPOSITION, “I” of EXPOSITION between “9” and “3”).

1 hour ago, Dafydd said:

I can remember an argument many years ago that these were illegal as they were defacing "coinage of the realm"

It's only illegal to melt down or break up coins. I'm not sure elongating them counts, or any post-mint damage could be a problem. You can get permission from the Treasury to do what you like with them anyway.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

The Elongated Collectors is a serious group of people who collect and study elongated coins: https://tecnews.org/

They publish an impressive newsletter and send members elongated coins a few times a year. I know firsthand because I joined them a few years ago.

Though I did enjoy being a member, I gradually found that I didn't enjoy elongated coins enough to continue (i.e., not my thing), so I dropped after a year or two.

But anyone who has more than a passing interest in this subject will learn oodles by joining and reading their newsletter.

• Like 1