Revisiting old friends

maridvnvm

1 hour ago, maridvnvm said:

Just processing another coin. It turns out I bought this one 20 years ago this week.

I'm curious what you're up to! 🙂

Are you rephotographing or reorganizing, or is this a 20 year old acquisition that was never "onboarded" ?

I am rephotographing and reorganising. In the last 25 years I have found my collecting themes. I am now going through the early purchases and taking stock as to whether they are core to my collection, whether they should leave my collection or whether I even have a "keep pile" forming a non-core collection.

Coins I part with now will go towards my main collections.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, maridvnvm said:

I am rephotographing and reorganising. In the last 25 years I have found my collecting themes. I am now going through the early purchases and taking stock as to whether they are core to my collection, whether they should leave my collection or whether I even have a "keep pile" forming a non-core collection.

Coins I part with now will go towards my main collections.

When I have occasionally taken stock of "coins I already have" I enjoy the three categories that I usually find:

- coins that I am thrilled to have

- coins that I forgot that I owned

- coins I am happy to part with

I keep a box for the last category that eventually makes it to an auction house to fund more in the first two categories.  Here's an old friend, Gallienus (AD 260 - AD 268)/ MARTI PACIFERO (RIC 236), purchased while I was living in the UK ~30 years ago.

image.png.44438c0939320540a13a2a71e0b61275.png

• Like 3

Here is another old purchase that I have stumbles across. This one joins the Florian above in the "keep me" pile.

Numerian

Obv:– IMP C NVMERIANVS AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– PACATO-R ORBIS, Emperor advancing right, holding shield and sword, captive, cowering beneath
Minted in Lugdunum (C in exe) Emission 9 Officina 3. Summer A.D. 284
Reference:– Cohen 41 (30 F). Bastien 618 (2 examples cited). RIC 390 Bust type F var (Officina).

The coin appears to be billon rather than silvered and is the ONLY occurence of this reverse type.

RI_136f_img.JPG

• Like 5