Is dating of this type possible?

expat

I know dating of Faustina II types is generally vague, but I also know a few members are able to date some types. Is this one of them?

Faustina II Orichalcum Dupondius, 13.55g, 27mm. Rome 161-164 CE.
RIC 1671, Sear 5303, BMCRE 995, Cohen 201.
FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, diademed draped bust right / SALVTI AVGVSTAE, SC below, Salus seated left on a low decorative chair, feeding from a patera a serpent coiled around and raising up from altar.

7nfLrSE4Ab8a8Bo6g2MXCt9HWzc53p.jpg.a70a3ba69467e785f831155027028f93.jpg

Edited by expat
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, ominus1 said:

..i'm sure a Faustina pro will be able to (RC)

Yes. I think you're going to have to get into Faustina II's hairstyle.

RIC has it as 161-176 i.e. as long as she was empress. The only other emperors who have this reverse are Marcus Aurelius, Lucius Verus and Faustina I. Faustina I's are in 141 (after she died) so don't overlap. Verus died in 169 and Marcus Aurelius has an issue that can be dated to 170-1. So if you had to guess, they would come from the period 169-171, but Faustina II has far more issues, with all sorts of hairstyles, presumably over a long period of time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cookie 1

That's a lovely example of that coin, @expat! Coingratulations on your new acquisition. These bronze coins were the workhorses of the Antoninine economy and circulated for decades. they are usually found very worn. But on to the question of dating.

As I have discussed elsewhere, the SALVTI AVGVSTAE seated type was a massive and long-lived issue, dating from just after the birth of Faustina’s twins on 31 August 161 CE to about 164 CE. Beckmann postulates they were issued in response to a health crisis experienced by Faustina. Szaivert believes this issue corresponds to the SALVTI AVGVSTOR types of Marcus and Lucius Verus of 162-164. However, it should be noted that all those coins depict Salus standing and a separate medium bronze depicting Salus standing was issued for Faustina, which may better serve as a parallel to them.

The presence or absence of the stephane doesn't seem to have any significance in terms of dating and die-linkages demonstrate they were in simultaneous use during the period of production. On this issue, the bare-headed version and the stephaned version appear to be about equally common and neither carries a premium in terms of price. Here's my example of your coin.

FaustinaJrSALVTIAVGVSTAESCseatedMBstephane.jpg.3eef724f67554431e0b42c146046e147.jpg
Faustina II, 147-175 CE.
Roman Æ as or dupondius, 11.67 g, 26.1 mm, 12 h.
Rome, 161- c. 164 CE.
Obv: FAVSTINA AVGVSTA, draped bust, right, and wearing stephane (Beckmann Type 9 hairstyle).
Rev: SALVTI AVGVSTAE S C, Salus seated left, feeding snake coiled round altar from patera in right hand and resting left arm on chair.
Refs: RIC
1671; BMCRE 995; Cohen 201; RCV 5303; MIR 30-7/10a, b diad.
Notes: Ex Antonio Carmona Collection

Edited by Roman Collector
Adding additional information and a photo.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1