Any import/export restrictions on World coins?

Theodosius

• Benefactor

Greetings,

I have been getting more interested in world coins lately. I was wondering if there are any import/export restrictions from any countries for medieval, early modern, or world coins. I'm thinking of those MOU's and other trade restrictions that exist for ancient coins.

Thanks,

John

GSSalzburg1696Thalera.jpg.19b418d26dfb9baf949c21240f983d83.jpg

AUSTRIA. Salzburg, Archdiocese. Johann Ernst von Thun und Hohenstein, 1687-1709. Taler 1696 (Silver,42 mm, 29.4 g, 12 h).

Obverse: IO:ERNEST'

D:G:ARCHIEP:SAL:S:A:L, Nimbate and crowned half-length bust of Mary, holding scepter in her right hand and the infant Christ in her left arm; coat of arms below.

Reverse: S:RVDBERTUS•EPS:SALISBVRG:1696 Saint Rupert standing facing, holding salt cellar and crosier; arms below. Probszt 1802. Zöttl 2168. Davenport 3510

Edited by Theodosius
  • Like 5

It depends on which countries you’re exporting from and importing into, but there are countries that restrict coins from time periods that are rather recent. For example, if you are importing coins into the U.S. that were minted in Turkey the import restrictions apply all the way up to the date 1770 A.D.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

Okay, that is good to know. Thanks.

Does anyone know of restrictions on coins from the major European powers after 1500? So England, Spain, France, Netherlands, Sweden, German states, Italian States, etc. I am mostly interested in silver coins from these countries. 😊

John 

5 minutes ago, Theodosius said:

Okay, that is good to know. Thanks.

Does anyone know of restrictions on coins from the major European powers after 1500? So England, Spain, France, Netherlands, Sweden, German states, Italian States, etc. I am mostly interested in silver coins from these countries. 😊

John 

Not sure if this helps but I once bought a Napoleonic medal from an Italian auction house and they said they still needed to apply for an export permit for it.

• Like 1

I don’t think it would even be possible or necessary for British, Spanish, French etc given the international nature of the currencies from the Late Middle Ages onwards. The Spanish even struck their coins in South America.

Obviously, there is always a restriction on buying stolen goods. If someone looted a medieval archaeological site your coins might get seized. The same goes if you got paid in Elizabeth II pound coins from a bank robbery.

• Like 1