An Odd Domitian Sestertius

The_Collector

So I recently acquired this coin and it came in the mail today. For the life of me, I cannot find one with a similar reverse. I have searched coin Coinarchive, wildwinds, acsearch, and the collection of @David Atherton 

The reverse seems to be pax and it looks like she is burning some shields. I have found examples of those coins, but they always have the SC at her side while in this example, though hard to see, the SC is small and at the bottom. 

The closest I have been able to match it to is this coin https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=257700

but mine has no trace of words on the reverse of my coin. Please help me figure out what is going on with this coin. Thank you! 

Also please share your Flavian bronzes.

IMG_1231.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

Edited by The_Collector
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, The_Collector said:

So I recently acquired this coin and it came in the mail today. For the life of me, I cannot find one with a similar reverse. I have searched coin Coinarchive, wildwinds, acsearch, and the collection of @David Atherton 

The reverse seems to be pax and it looks like she is burning some shields. I have found examples of those coins, but they always have the SC at her side while in this example, though hard to see, the SC is small and at the bottom. 

The closest I have been able to match it to is this coin https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=257700

but mine has no trace of words on the reverse of my coin. Please help me figure out what is going on with this coin. Thank you! 

Also please share your Flavian bronzes.

IMG_1231.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

So you were the one who got it! Congrats!

I'm currently away from home and my books, I'll look it up when I return Sunday. But you are correct, I'm missing this variety!

• Like 2

Thank you all for your help in solving this mystery with me haha!! Thank you @David Atherton I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the coin! Also, I was wondering if you could tell me what books you would recommend since I am trying to specialize in Flavian coinage. I already have the Sear's book and want to know what would be the next step book wise? Thank you!

• Like 1