Elizabeth I AR Sixpence, 1562: my earliest milled coin. What's yours?

DonnaML

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

Thank you. I seem to have lifted that part of the description from Numista, so I will correct their page! 

I didn't realize that the descriptions in Numista were submitted by and/or correctable by readers. So it's sort of like a Wikipedia for coins? Is there any editorial review of the entries by anyone?

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I didn't realize that the descriptions in Numista were submitted by and/or correctable by readers. So it's sort of like a Wikipedia for coins? Is there any editorial review of the entries by anyone?

Yes it is essentially a Wiki for coins. If you can't find your coin, you can add it. You can also add varieties, mints etc, or suggest corrections. I've added a lot of coins (although not the sixpence).

It's not exactly like Wikipedia, though. You have to have your page/amendment approved by a moderator before it's published. They check what you've added against your sources and their references, and whether it's already on there. They check the style and format too. For Celtic coins, for example, I like the Chris Rudd categorisations, but they stick to the Spink groupings and edit my submissions to suit.

But they are volunteers and can make mistakes. They add quite a lot of coins themselves, and for Roman coins in particular, I've noticed (and corrected) a lot of errors, such as having the wrong image for the RIC reference (e.g. showing Salus with an altar when there isn't meant to be one etc). Modern coins, on the other hand, are less likely to have errors, although they still do. It started with moderns after all - not long ago, there were almost no ancients on there.

Having said that, there are plenty of errors on Ocre and Wildwinds, and those are harder to correct.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just discovered this thread so I'll have to post my oldest milled coin ☺️. This Austrian thaler was struck, or more accurately described as "squeezed" by the use of roller dies. This technique was popular within the Holy Roman Empire, but it didn't last very long because the curved dies were difficult & time consuming to engrave. 1654714308_CNG489678_2(2).jpg.7aa71b051fdd5697de7f9da2c7aca578.jpg

AUSTRIA, Holy Roman Empire, Archduke Ferdinand II, 1564-1595. Hall Mint. AR Thaler: 28.20 gm, 40 mm, 12 h. Obverse inscription: FERDINANDVS + D G+ARCHID+AVSTRI EA+. Reverse inscription: DVX+BVRGVND+CO+TIROLIS. Davenport 8094.

• Like 7