A small coin for a small forum ( but with a ferocious bite...)

DANTE

1 hour ago, Alegandron said:

I really enjoy these Persian King Tets,

Well, they are very small tets.😊

Seriously, I like them as well.  it's one of the few, if not the only, portrait coins of the Great King. Yours has an outstanding portrait!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DANTE said:

Well, they are very small tets.😊

Seriously, I like them as well.  it's one of the few, if not the only, portrait coins of the Great King. Yours has an outstanding portrait!

Thanks, when I stumbled upon it, I snapped it up! I have several tetartemorions, and they can show some amazing detail. But a portrait is amazing!

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 12:53 PM, Valentinian said:

It turns out that SNG Turkey I, the Kayhan collection, has #348 from Kolophon, Ionia, "late 6th century" is just like it, including the weight, and several similar coins of the weights 0.12 to 0.24 grams.

The example I posted above was badly off-center on the obverse, so I sought another one. Also, most are very close to 0.19 grams and when I saw one said to be 0.1 grams, I went for it. So here are the two new-to-me coins:

SG4343bKolophon2247.jpg.3f0f5989637d1ce7fe8cf24e30827142.jpg The first is 0.18 grams and 5.7-4.7 mm. The reference is SNG Turkey I Kayhan Collection 343-348. Rosen 386 and 387 are the same type, with, in that older reference, an attribution to an "uncertain mint" and a later date. 

SG4343bKolophon2250.jpg.68409d9cb5e21b85f649d0fd7c746115.jpg  The second is only 0.08 grams and 4.7-3.7 mm. The design is clear, which is remarkable for such a small coin. @Alegandronquoted the wikipedia page which says there is a hemitetartemorion denomination (half a quarter of an obol) which in this region would be half of 0.19 grams or about 0.09 grams. I doubt there was that much precision in ancient minting, and I wonder how, in practice, an ancient merchant would distinguish a hemi from a full tetartemorion. 

That second coin has vaulted into the lead as the smallest coin in my collection. My wife noted the engraver must have been seriously nearsighted. 

• Like 7

On 6/25/2022 at 1:32 PM, Valentinian said:

SG4343bKolophon2250.jpg.68409d9cb5e21b85f649d0fd7c746115.jpg  The second is only 0.08 grams and 4.7-3.7 mm. The design is clear, which is remarkable for such a small coin. @Alegandronquoted the wikipedia page which says there is a hemitetartemorion denomination (half a quarter of an obol) which in this region would be half of 0.19 grams or about 0.09 grams. I doubt there was that much precision in ancient minting, and I wonder how, in practice, an ancient merchant would distinguish a hemi from a full tetartemorion. 

That second coin has vaulted into the lead as the smallest coin in my collection. My wife noted the engraver must have been seriously nearsighted. 

I greatly enjoy the tiny ones and would love to have more that I could convince myself were intentionally under 0.1g when made but most of mine are probably reduced by chipping.   My lightest coin is hard to measure with cheap balances and in rooms with drafts but is around .05g. but I am sure it weighed more before the obvious surface exfoliation.  At least it is round on the edges so was not broken with a piece missing.  It is hard to tell whether the ragged edge ones were struck on ragged flans or if they broke later. 

Syracuse, Sicily, Tyrant Gelon, hexas (1/6 litra or 1/300th of the popular dekadrachm), 485-478 BC, .05g? 

g20420aa0595.jpg.630ea9277341e697966872a1ad59b4ae.jpg

• Like 6
  • Mind blown 1