Some late arrivals

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Some time ago, I ordered the two coins below. While I had examples from both already, they were interesting types and the price was low. I was particularly excited about the Aetolian League coin since, as I understand, it likely dates from before my example and may be among the earliest bronze issues from the league.

However, the package soon went AWOL with the USPS in Florida. I was upset because I just had a vision of mail thieves named Billy Bob and Martha Lee sitting in some swamp remarking about the "anshuns" they pulled out, then looking at the price and throwing them to the gators because they weren't worth much. The idea that these coins survived 2300 years only to receive their fate from a bunch of idiots with no respect for history just unnerved me.

While a refund would have been within bounds, I just couldn't see it. It wasn't the dealer's fault and it wasn't a lot of money, so every once in a while I'd amuse myself by checking the tracking number, and after a month or so I gave up doing that.

I still bought some other coins from the dealer and they arrived fine. Then, one day he posted a coin I found intriguing because I always love a mystery. He said he'd had the coin for several years and couldn't identify it, so finally sold it for someone else to figure out. Unfortunately, another buyer got to it before I did.

Nevertheless, I felt this was no reason to spoil my fun, so I studied the coin and compared it with the numerous bronzes I already have, and I attributed it! The dealer was very happy and promised to relay the attribution to the new buyer and I felt appeased that - even though I didn't buy the coin - I at least have a better example of the type so it's better off with someone else anyways.

To my surprise, the next day a package showed up from this dealer. Huh? Until then, I'd never realized the joy of receiving coins when I hadn't ordered any. I anxiously opened the envelope to find.... my two coins!

Yes, after two months USPS found the package and sent it to me. Who knows what adventure they went on. I'd like to think that the police raided Billy Bob and Martha Lee's place for mail fraud and found the open envelope and the two coins laying next to the gator, who didn't care much for bronze. More likely, the package fell into some slot in the facility and eventually they fished it out.

I'd also like to think they were delivered by karma. Maybe the universe wasn't happy that my collection is increasing so quickly and thought to teach me some humility and to cherish every coin for its story.

I don't know, but I'm very happy to finally have them.

Please post your late arrivals!

AetolianLeague-2.jpg.41abf7d1bf4d6176922749c33da3056e.jpg

Aitolian League
290-220 BCE
Ae Chalkous 14.5mm 2.1g
Obv: Head of Apollo right
Rev: APO-LON above and below spearhead
BCD Aitolia 541

Amphipolis-2.jpg.429b0953a6c32366566df17c3f853c2d.jpg

Amphipolis Macedon
355-353 BCE
AE 12mm 1.4g
Obv: Diademed head of Apollo right
Rev: A-M/F-I above and below torch
SNG ANS 88-92

• Like 16
  • Smile 1

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, kirispupis said:

Some time ago, I ordered the two coins below. While I had examples from both already, they were interesting types and the price was low. I was particularly excited about the Aetolian League coin since, as I understand, it likely dates from before my example and may be among the earliest bronze issues from the league.

However, the package soon went AWOL with the USPS in Florida. I was upset because I just had a vision of mail thieves named Billy Bob and Martha Lee sitting in some swamp remarking about the "anshuns" they pulled out, then looking at the price and throwing them to the gators because they weren't worth much. The idea that these coins survived 2300 years only to receive their fate from a bunch of idiots with no respect for history just unnerved me.

While a refund would have been within bounds, I just couldn't see it. It wasn't the dealer's fault and it wasn't a lot of money, so every once in a while I'd amuse myself by checking the tracking number, and after a month or so I gave up doing that.

I still bought some other coins from the dealer and they arrived fine. Then, one day he posted a coin I found intriguing because I always love a mystery. He said he'd had the coin for several years and couldn't identify it, so finally sold it for someone else to figure out. Unfortunately, another buyer got to it before I did.

Nevertheless, I felt this was no reason to spoil my fun, so I studied the coin and compared it with the numerous bronzes I already have, and I attributed it! The dealer was very happy and promised to relay the attribution to the new buyer and I felt appeased that - even though I didn't buy the coin - I at least have a better example of the type so it's better off with someone else anyways.

To my surprise, the next day a package showed up from this dealer. Huh? Until then, I'd never realized the joy of receiving coins when I hadn't ordered any. I anxiously opened the envelope to find.... my two coins!

Yes, after two months USPS found the package and sent it to me. Who knows what adventure they went on. I'd like to think that the police raided Billy Bob and Martha Lee's place for mail fraud and found the open envelope and the two coins laying next to the gator, who didn't care much for bronze. More likely, the package fell into some slot in the facility and eventually they fished it out.

I'd also like to think they were delivered by karma. Maybe the universe wasn't happy that my collection is increasing so quickly and thought to teach me some humility and to cherish every coin for its story.

I don't know, but I'm very happy to finally have them.

Please post your late arrivals!

AetolianLeague-2.jpg.41abf7d1bf4d6176922749c33da3056e.jpg

Aitolian League
290-220 BCE
Ae Chalkous 14.5mm 2.1g
Obv: Head of Apollo right
Rev: APO-LON above and below spearhead
BCD Aitolia 541

Amphipolis-2.jpg.429b0953a6c32366566df17c3f853c2d.jpg

Amphipolis Macedon
355-353 BCE
AE 12mm 1.4g
Obv: Diademed head of Apollo right
Rev: A-M/F-I above and below torch
SNG ANS 88-92

Careful; someone's going to accuse you of disseminating invidious stereotypes about Floridians! A certain governor might have his pet legislature pass a special law against you.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

• Benefactor
16 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Careful; someone's going to accuse you of disseminating invidious stereotypes about Floridians! A certain governor might have his pet legislature pass a special law against you.

Not all Floridians! (I have family there) Just the low-life pathetic trash who reek of excrement and steal other peoples' stuff. Those Floridians I'm happy to stereotype.

And if a certain self indulged governor uses his pet legislature to pass a law targeting little me, then I'll know I've hit the big time. That would be a special honor.

Yesterday, my wife received her first hate-review for the simple fact that no woman should dare author a book on how to invest in real estate. While she was furiously writing to Amazon to remove it, I remarked that she's gotten big enough to have review-bombers. That's a significant step!

• Like 1
  • Clap 1