Beautiful Hannibal Punic 1/2 Shekel

Kazuma78

I've been pretty busy with life and work lately so I haven't been on here to post much, but I was very excited to win this coin yesterday and wanted to show it off. 

Screenshot_20230620_170924_Chrome.jpg.f20bd1a76b48930464e8b3f088988241.jpg

Zeugitania, Carthage. Silver 1/2 Shekel (3.44 g), ca. 220-205 BC. Second Punic War issue. For the Sicilian campaign, ca. 213-210 BC. Laureate head of Melkart left. Reverse: Elephant advancing right; in exergue, Punic 'A'. MAA -; Enna Hoard 123; SNG Copenhagen 383. A superb and finely detailed portrait. Attractive old cabinet toning. Superb Extremely Fine.

From the Century Collection. Ex Stack's (10 June 1996), 147.

Edited by Kazuma78
  • Like 17
  • Yes 1
  • Smile 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Clap 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 4
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Kazuma78 changed the title to Beautiful Hannibal Punic 1/2 Shekel
28 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Wow!  Yeah, I'd want to show that off, too!  What a coin!

Thanks! I was very happy to be able to win it! 

23 minutes ago, seth77 said:

Melkart looks a bit like Louis XVI of France 

I can see that! I blame it on the multiverse of madness?...

8 minutes ago, ominus1 said:

...it does bring Louis's to mind   very fine and historic coin @Kazuma78 🙂

IMG_0855.JPG

Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Curtisimo said:

That is a beautiful coin @Kazuma78. I’d like to add one of these someday. The portrait in particular is very nice.

Thanks! I am very excited about adding it and can't wait to see it in person. I really like the fine style of portrait and the strike and toning. 

• Smile 1

Barcids in Spain Ar Quarter Shekel Carhago Nova 221-209 BC Obv Beardless head of Melkart laureate left with club behind. Rv Elephant advancing right MHC 47 1.65 grms 14 mm Photo by W. Hansencarthaged5.jpeg.d847f4297552bad25fd6c035c67f7d22.jpeg

The image of Melkart on this coin is often cited as being a portrait of Hannibal. It might be, but if it is he has adopted some of the adjunct symbols  of the god Herakles. Interestingly the reverse features the image of the animal Hannibal is most associated with the elephant  

• Like 4

On 6/21/2023 at 9:35 AM, Kazuma78 said:

I've been pretty busy with life and work lately so I haven't been on here to post much, but I was very excited to win this coin yesterday and wanted to show it off. 

Screenshot_20230620_170924_Chrome.jpg.f20bd1a76b48930464e8b3f088988241.jpg

Zeugitania, Carthage. Silver 1/2 Shekel (3.44 g), ca. 220-205 BC. Second Punic War issue. For the Sicilian campaign, ca. 213-210 BC. Laureate head of Melkart left. Reverse: Elephant advancing right; in exergue, Punic 'A'. MAA -; Enna Hoard 123; SNG Copenhagen 383. A superb and finely detailed portrait. Attractive old cabinet toning. Superb Extremely Fine.

From the Century Collection. Ex Stack's (10 June 1996), 147.

Josh, Great score 😲! This coin has to be the finest example known for the type ☺️. Amazing engraving, strike, & toning; being anepigraphic on both sides enhances the beauty of the coin 😉. I have only one Punic coin left that I've posted a number of time but will post again for comparison. Unlike your coin that is totally Punic in design, the obverse on my coin is a copy of the Greek Tets from Macedonia, however, the reverse is Punic in design. 4167455-013AKCollection.jpg.2b50e939a1af1e98bb68f8e665f9cb81.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

14 hours ago, CPK said:

Wow that is incredible!!! Congratulations!

Thank you! 

8 hours ago, Di Nomos said:

Congratulations, a fantastic coin, and a type I'd love to add to my collection. The obverse is great of course, but I love the elephant on the reverse, for both the style and symbolism.

4 hours ago, kapphnwn said:

Barcids in Spain Ar Quarter Shekel Carhago Nova 221-209 BC Obv Beardless head of Melkart laureate left with club behind. Rv Elephant advancing right MHC 47 1.65 grms 14 mm Photo by W. Hansencarthaged5.jpeg.d847f4297552bad25fd6c035c67f7d22.jpeg

The image of Melkart on this coin is often cited as being a portrait of Hannibal. It might be, but if it is he has adopted some of the adjunct symbols  of the god Herakles. Interestingly the reverse features the image of the animal Hannibal is most associated with the elephant  

Thanks! I love both sides but the style of the elephant I think is beautiful and it's a wonderful symbol of Hannibal. I really love the style of portrait on this one too. I can see it being Melqart, Heracles or Hannibal. 

3 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

Josh, Great score 😲! This coin has to be the finest example known for the type ☺️. Amazing engraving, strike, & toning; being anepigraphic on both sides enhances the beauty of the coin 😉. I have only one Punic coin left that I've posted a number of time but will post again for comparison. Unlike your coin that is totally Punic in design, the obverse on my coin is a copy of the Greek Tets from Macedonia, however, the reverse is Punic in design. 4167455-013AKCollection.jpg.2b50e939a1af1e98bb68f8e665f9cb81.jpg

Thank you! Yours is also a beautiful coin! A type I would love to eventually add also!

• Like 1