Help needed: Does anyone read Farsi or know something about Mughal manuscript illumination?

Ursus

Dear  Nvmis Forvms community,

I recently bought two illuminated pages from an old non-western manuscript. I usually do not collect Asian art or books, and this therefore was a purely opportunistic purchase. The pair cost me only 25€, which is less than the flea market value of the frames the pages came in, and I found the two gouache miniatures decorative.

Now, I would like to know more about what I bought. I can identify the calligraphy on the two manuscript pages as nastaliq (Perso-Arabic script), and judging from the style of the two miniatures, I suspect them to probably be 16th to 18th century works from the Mughal Empire. Yet, I unfortunately do not read Farsi, and although I am somewhat familiar with European medieval and early modern books, I know preciously little about Persian manuscripts.

Thus, since I am certain that a rather large chunk of the world's antiquarian knowledge is assembled here on this board, I would like to ask for your help. Can anyone tell me more about the two manuscript pages below, the miniatures or the accompanying text? Any information is appreciated!

IMG_6451.JPG.e04f2da9ca7555296c4c61575b8912a6.JPG

IMG_6449.JPG.028ce4e74e9b4f732b39c1e68da8725c.JPG

Edited by Ursus
  • Like 6
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

16 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

Use Google Translate (Persian). It seems to mention Karna, from the Hindu epic Mahābhārata. And the Qur'an. So a religious book, although that doesn't help date it as the epic was written by 400.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't know that Google Translate can now translate from images. I'm impressed that it recognized anything at all from manuscript pages - below is what I got from feeding the program my manuscript pictures. Most of the machine translation seems to be gibberish, though some of it is strangely poetic:

IMG_6449(1).JPG.743691ca29cf2e8b5ec0db310394b921.JPG

IMG_6451(1).JPG.cabbafe6b1806f9e82b45e18a85940ff.JPG

• Like 6