LOUIS IV DENIER..(IN THE NAME OF)

ominus1

The royal monograms in particular (that of Charles the Bald or Louis IV Transmarinus) are still minted until the end of the 12th century.

Man..how 'bout those Franks?!...i bit off (not too much pun intended) a bunch when deciding to collect all the Louis's ..its a rabbit hole that seems to extend to a web of other passages to understand it...but its all good ...very fun and educating at the same time...This particular 'immobilization' is from the La Marche region and was minted by Hugh IX-X(and he might have been Hugh IX in one place, but was Hugh VI +- in others :P)...i will probably get another one or two of these and get as close as possible to the time of the actual Louis IV... but until then...

COINS  N COMMENTS PEEPS & have a great weekend! 🙂

franks.jpg

IMG_1667.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

• Like 6
  • Smile 1

I love the idea behind this collection.  The Carolingian coins, their successors, and their immobilizations are fascinating, obscure, and under-appreciated. 

Once you have all the other Charles’,  you can add this guy.   (Not my coin.)

image.jpeg.e049d1ae5668dc06429ac91590807a0e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
  • Cool Think 1

52 minutes ago, Hrefn said:

I love the idea behind this collection.  The Carolingian coins, their successors, and their immobilizations are fascinating, obscure, and under-appreciated. 

Once you have all the other Charles’,  you can add this guy.   (Not my coin.)

image.jpeg.e049d1ae5668dc06429ac91590807a0e.jpeg

...thanks Hrefn, but  i wasn't born in St. Charles  :P..that one's wide open  ^^...( i know what ya mean..Charles is my Dads name ..its a thought, but for now its the Louies :))

Edited by ominus1
  • Like 1

@ominus1, your gravitating to Louis IV and his immobilizations couldn't be  more resonant.  A lifetime issue is due to be on my bucket list for a good long while.  But the issues of the Lusignan counts of La Marche and Angouleme, especially from the late 12th to the mid-13th centuries, are fun for the legend variants that eventually crop up within the immobilizations themselves.  Here's a fun later example.

image.jpeg.8976bd8d2f774ee8caf4da39edf818dd.jpegimage.jpeg.ff9371e941f709a76f854e68670f207f.jpeg

County of La Marche.  Denier attributed to Hugues XI (1249- 1260), but likelier dating to Hugues XII, Count 1250-1270.  (Father and son both went on St. Louis's first crusade, in Egypt and Palestine.  Hugues XI died in Egypt; no. XII summarily inherited, and made it home.)

Obv. (from 9 o'clock:) +VGO COM[ES] MAR.  In field, between two crescents --continuing the border legend: [...]ChE.

Rev. Cross; +LODOICVS ENGOL.  ('Louis IV' /'Engo[lisseme],' the medieval Latin for Angouleme.) 

Duplessy 961 (basing the count and chronology on Boudeau, and presumably other, extensive secondary precedent).

Yes, by this point, the Lusignans held both La Marche and Angouleme.  (The surname comes from their original, less significant seigneurie, in the same neighborhood in north-central Aquitaine.)  As late as this, the issues of La Marche are already cannibalizing the existing immobilizations from both counties, seemingly at random.  Weird, but cool.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ominus1 said:

...thanks Hrefn, but  i wasn't born in St. Charles  :P..that one's wide open  ^^...( i know what ya mean..Charles is my Dads name ..its a thought, but for now its the Louies :))

My mistake!  Perhaps a future goal.  

• Smile 1
  • Cool Think 1

...Right, makes it kind of annoying when the numbering gets continued over more than one family.

Except, then you get these Lusignan counts, and people of their demographic, perpetuating the same forename over a Godzillion generations.  Right, in the direct paternal line.  But the sheer number of them, even in neat succession, makes them hard to keep track of. 

• Like 2