Elymais - the mostly forgotten kingdom

kirispupis

• Benefactor

As part of my Kingdoms After Alexander collection, I've been after an Elymais example for some time. When I first started looking, issues were relatively rare and expensive. Then, maybe a year ago, it seems a hoard was discovered. The prices have dropped considerably and Roma seems to have cornered the market in including several in each auction, though I've seen them at other auctions and stores too.

In fact, so many have hit the market lately that I had to pause to think which one I wanted. When this one hit, I felt it was a pretty good example and it looks even better in hand.

KamnaskiresIII.jpg.7b86789aaf591dfaf7b1a8b8cf919251.jpg

Kings of Elymais, Kamnaskires III, with Anzaze
Seleukeia on the Hedyphon
dated SE 233 = 80/79 BCE
AR Tetradrachm 15.89g, 27mm, 12h
Conjoined busts of Kamnaskires and Queen Anzaze to left; Seleukid anchor terminating in monogram behind
Zeus seated to left, holding sceptre and Nike, who crowns him; IΛCIΛEΩ[C] [KΛ]MNΛCKIIOY [...]IΛCIΛHHIH ANZAZH around, [MAK]EΔ[ΩN] to inner left, ГΛΣ (sic, date) in exergue.
Van't Haaff Type 7.1.1-1-2 (date unlisted); Alram 454 (date unlisted); Roma E-103, 597 (same dies); Sunrise -; DCA 518.
Ex Roma Numismatics

For Elymais, I did break a trend where I've tried to collect the founder or at least the earliest monarch who minted coins. In cases like the Pontic Kingdom, I went with Mithridates VI since the earlier rulers are in the stratosphere. However, for Elymais - though as I understand Kamnaskires I issues are expensive, there are some Kamnaskires II examples that are possible. However, I just couldn't pass on this obverse. The coin is simply so striking IMHO that I made an exception.

More intriguing I find is that relatively little is known about the Kingdom of Elymais. Its coins are common, but that's mostly all we know about it. There are a few inscriptions that hint at the history, and we believe it gained and lost it sovereignty against the Seleukid and then Parthian empires.

At the time, it was highly unusual for a queen to be depicted on a coin with her husband. However, from at least my research it appears that we know next to nothing about Anzaze. Was she influential at court, or was Kamnaskires completely enamored with her? We don't seem to know. What I also find intriguing is the mix of Hellenistic and Persian imagery. The reverse is almost straight out of a Hellenistic coin (the stringy Nike being the most blatant difference), but the obverse is closer to the Persian theme - though different in its own way.

To me, that's part of the intrigue of these coins. They're certainly not rare, but they're practically the only windows we have into an otherwise unknown country.

Post your examples of Elymais!

• Like 22
  • Heart Eyes 2

That's really cool!  I myself was thinking of purchasing that type last year.  I didn't end up buying it because it was some dealer in Dubai whom I was unfamiliar with (it wasn't Zurqieh) and I was hesitant to take the chance on a coin costing a few hundred dollars.

Yes, that is a truly impressive type. Well done!

• Like 2

@kirispupis..That's a wonderful looking example!..Well centred both sides with what looks to be nice toning...Congrats.

No silver here but I do have this well detailed for type bronze drachm.

normal_togehter-removebg-preview.png.8cb52dfffbedc6ba608001c0ad91903f.png

Orodes III, 2nd Century A.D., AE Drachm 3.5 grams
Obv: Bearded bust facing left, wearing a diademed tiara ornamented with anchor. Pellet and crescent above an anchor to the right.
Rev: Radiate and draped bust of Artemis right. Greek legend around bust retrograde
van't Haaff 16.1.1-3A

Attributed by BobL

• Like 16
  • Heart Eyes 1

Here's a couple more of these sweet, cheap little bronzes..

ELYMAIS_TOGETHER.jpg.b28887e6775825c05e666de16e53b575.jpg

Kamnaskires-Orodes..13-15mm/3.6gr
Early to mid 2nd century AD
Van’t Haaff 12.3.1-2A2
Obv: Bust with top hair tuft, upward side tufts, one crossbar on anchor, pellet within crescent at upper right
Rev: Dashes with regular pattern

normal_ELYMAIS_1.jpg.d7d1500ab7549e4dcaa26cb627e91e66.jpg

Phraates bronze drachm, weight 3.6gr..15 mm diameter
Obverse.. ΦPA, Bearded bust left wearing tiara with pellet in crescent; pellet inside crescent above anchor with one crossbar right.
Reverse.. BACIΛEVC ΠPAATHC (blundered), Artemis standing right, not radiate, drawing arrow from quiver on shoulder with right hand, bow in left.
Vant Haaff 14.6.1-3;

• Like 15

normal_SA043_Elymais.jpg.8c51a5c51f9c4e3fcc16d71ab1818d0a.jpg

KINGS of ELYMAIS.
Kamnaskires V. Circa 54/3-33/2 BCE.
AR/BI Drachm (3.77 g, 12h).
Seleukeia on the Hedyphon mint. Uncertain date.
Obv.: Diademed bust left; behind anchor
Rev.: Diademed bust left; [date off flan].
Ref.: van’t Haaff Type 9.1.2-6A
(picture: Kölner Münzkabinett)

normal_elymais_26_fac.jpg.0f6885c5077c4c965318e7791d590122.jpg

Kingdom of Elymais
Uncertain early Arsacid king
Æ tetradrachm
Obv.: Bust facing right, pointed beard, curly hair dressed in a curved pattern
Rev.: crude style bust left, degraded legend
Æ, 15.18g, 30 mm
Ref.: Van´t Haaff Type 10.2, Subtype 1-1

• Like 12

51 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Any idea who's being portrayed on the reverse?

Unfortunately NO. It's not the king, because the beard is much shorter. Sometimes you can read Heracles, but I find this hard to believe. So it's better to stay with "male bust with diadem".

It's often difficult to tell who is on the reverse. Here is another difficult example. Even with a legend.

normal_elymais_18.jpg.fa306560d5fe7d137a8e6321e47cdb6c.jpg

Kingdom of Elymais
Orodes IV
2nd half 2nd Century
Æ Drachm
Obv.: Bust facing left Large Hair tufts at Top and Side of Head; Legend "KING ORODES"
Rev.: Female Bust to left; Long Hair lock falling down; Legend "ULFAN"
Æ, 3.71 g, 14mm.
Ref.: Van´t Haaff Type 17.1, Subtype 1-1c THIS COIN
Ex Van't Haaff Collection

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Mind blown 1

On 3/1/2023 at 2:27 PM, kirispupis said:

When I first started looking, issues were relatively rare and expensive. Then, maybe a year ago, it seems a hoard was discovered.

Indeed. It would seem that several huge hoards must have been discovered over the past five years or so. There was a time when these Kamnaskires III/Anzaze tets were going for many thousands - even up to $15,000 or so. But then a bunch of them hit the market, and have continued to do so since. Recently, within the past half year, an incredible number of previously rare and quite expensive Kamnaskires V issues - across all denominations - has been prevalent on the market, across multiple sellers and auction houses. It's a good time - the best time ever, actually - to pick up some Elymaean AR.

To contribute to the pile on, here's an AE tet from one of the early Arsacid Dynasty kings of Elymais:

image.jpeg.4b9f85751368e5215e90982bb493841f.jpeg

Uncertain Early Arsacid Kings

AE tetradrachm, late 1st century BC to early 2nd century AD
Van’t Haaff 10.1.1-1

And for something very different. The Elymaeans are believed to have been descended from the more ancient Elamites. Here is an arrowhead from Elam:

AE_Arrowhead_33.jpg.5c48752474349edc04bc18cc726be882.jpg

AE Arrowhead

Elam
Neo-Elamite II or III period:
c. 750 – 600 BC
50 mm (2”)

• Like 9

Coins from Elymais have a certain Ozymandian charm. Mine are not special, but I like them:

OrientAntikeElymaisOrodesIIAEDrachm.png.e7f8c0fd1190ddd1cbb5eaa707ec5a01.png

Kingdom of Elymais, Orodes II, early to mid 2nd c. AD, AE Drachm. Obv: Bearded bust of Orodes facing, wearing tiara, no large hair tufts at sides; to right, pellet in crescent and anchor with two crossbars. Rev: dashes. Ref: van't Haaff 13.3.2–1B. 15 mm, 4g.

OrientAntikeElymaisOrodesVAEdrachm.png.d4d9adc0fbfa0b210be7c0ec430a3d84.png

Kingdom of Elymais, Orodes V, late 2nd–early 3rd c. AD, AE Drachm. Obv: Bearded bust of Orodes left with double diadem and tuft of hair on top of head. Rev: Bust of Artemis with beaded tiara left. Ref: van't Haaff 18.1.1-2A. 13 mm, 2.6g.

• Like 9

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Kamnaskires said:

Indeed. It would seem that several huge hoards must have been discovered over the past five years or so. There was a time when these Kamnaskires III/Anzaze tets were going for many thousands - even up to $15,000 or so. But then a bunch of them hit the market, and have continued to do so since. Recently, within the past half year, an incredible number of previously rare and quite expensive Kamnaskires V issues - across all denominations - has been prevalent on the market, across multiple sellers and auction houses. It's a good time - the best time ever, actually - to pick up some Elymaean AR.

And for something very different. The Elymaeans are believed to have been descended from the more ancient Elamites. Here is an arrowhead from Elam:

AE Arrowhead

Elam
Neo-Elamite II or III period:
c. 750 – 600 BC
50 mm (2”)

No wonder the kingdom went under! Their arrowheads were crooked!

Now that I think of it, I was probably wise to pick up a Kamnaskires III instead of a Kamnaskires II. I just need to wait for them to keep digging. 🙂 Eventually they'll reach a hoard of Kamnaskires II.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Given that posts about Elymais are rarer than any of the coins in the series, I feel obligated to keep this thread going.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:27 PM, kirispupis said:

...we know next to nothing about Anzaze. Was she influential at court, or was Kamnaskires completely enamored with her?

Perhaps it wasn't love, after all. David Salaris, in his 2017 publication The Kingdom of Elymais (ca. 301 BC - 224 AD) makes the case that the union of Kamnaskires III and Anzaze - and the showy display of them together on the coinage - was, essentially, for political expediency. It thus may have been a marriage of convenience. He returns to this point several times in the text. Here are some excerpts for anyone (admittedly, it will be a very small few) who may find this interesting.

Page 93:

"The figure of Anzaze is still obscure. Her presence could indicate the necessity of pointing out particular affiliations with a well-recognizable local figure within an established dynastic context (possibly an endogamy relationship)‚ or the political inter-dynastic union with the member of a powerful agro-pastoral community present in the highlands. After a 50-year gap from the last Elymaean emission of Tigraios (133/2 BC), the exigency of a dynastic reaffirmation from an iconographic perspective would have probably represented a clear propagandistic obligation."

Page 316:

"The entire coinage of the Late Kamnaskirids reveals the desire to mark a dynastic emphasis‚ an example of genealogical transposition inaugurated with Kamnaskires III. The juxtaposition of the latter with the female figure of Anzaze may indicate a necessary connection with an important personage within a dynastic context‚ maybe related to an endogamy relationship, a form of royal legitimacy possibly inherited by the ancient Elamite culture."

Page 361:

"The necessity to re-affirm a genealogical connection with the first Kamnaskires rulers appears a dominant theme for the Late Kamnaskires (1st century BC). Iconographically‚ the representation of Kamnaskires III and Anzaze may indicate the association with a major dynastic personage (possibly an endogamy relationship)‚ or the political union with the member of a powerful agro-pastoral polity present in the highlands."

• Like 2

Missed opportunity. I worked in Kuwait during the mid-1990's for a couple of years. A dealer at the antique souk had buckets of these small coppers for 3KD (about $8 at the time). I probably could have purchased bags at a large discount. However, they were mixed in with more recent hammered Indian issues and I did not recognize these as ancient. Dummy new collector.

• Like 3