Online Sear Reference?

CPK

Hey everyone, hope your evening (or whenever it is in your part of the world!) is going well. It's been hot and humid here in Missouri, and I've just discovered that our AC unit is acting up. 🙄 Still cooler inside the house than out I guess!

Anyway...I was wondering if any of you know if there's any online Sear database like there is with RIC? Reason is I have some coins with just Sear numbers, and it would help if I could cross-reference them with RIC.

Thanks!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Wildwinds has most Sear references as well as RIC.

In general you are right, however it seems the specific Sear numbers I was hunting for aren't included in Wildwinds. 

25 minutes ago, CPK said:

In general you are right, however it seems the specific Sear numbers I was hunting for aren't included in Wildwinds. 

How many do you have to do? I have all of the new Sear volumes (and older editions) and can look a few up and cross reference them for you. I could find time for 5-10 pretty easy. We’ll have to figure out which edition of Sear was used for the reference, so provide the emperor and reverse legend with each Sear number of you can.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Orange Julius said:

How many do you have to do? I have all of the new Sear volumes (and older editions) and can look a few up and cross reference them for you. I could find time for 5-10 pretty easy. We’ll have to figure out which edition of Sear was used for the reference, so provide the emperor and reverse legend with each Sear number of you can.

Just one right now, the RIC reference is RIC VII Arelate 233. It matches either SR4 3873 or SR4 3878, I'm not certain which. Constantine I.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hmmm, I looked up RIC 223 from Arles to find an example of your coin:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4854797

It looks like they were just referencing a similar coin but from a different mint (3873 from Siscia) because a coin from Arles was not listed in this edition. 3878 is a campgate, so not your coin. Here’s an image from Sear 4th edition and neither number correlates exactly to RIC 233…. So I’d toss that reference out.

363C652F-DA47-4547-8B00-0D78186BFF1B.jpeg.0081c9a86399d7ef8ede011969fb676f.jpeg

For an exact Sear reference from the new edition for your coin from Arles… it’s Sear Vol 4, 16206.

PS: I was just spouting off in an earlier thread on books, to maybe skip the Sear volumes because I found I don’t use them much. Well, I retract that statement. 😜

Edited by Orange Julius
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Orange Julius said:

Hmmm, I looked up RIC 223 from Arles to find an example of your coin:

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4854797

It looks like they were just referencing a similar coin but from a different mint (3873 from Siscia) because a coin from Arles was not listed in this edition. 3878 is a campgate, so not your coin. Here’s an image from Sear 4th edition and neither number correlates exactly to RIC 233…. So I’d toss that reference out.

363C652F-DA47-4547-8B00-0D78186BFF1B.jpeg.0081c9a86399d7ef8ede011969fb676f.jpeg

For an exact Sear reference from the new edition for your coin from Arles… it’s Sear Vol 4, 16206.

PS: I was just spouting off in an earlier thread on books, to maybe skip the Sear volumes because I found I don’t use them much. Well, I retract that statement. 😜

Thanks! That helps a lot. It looks like number 3873 is the closest match. 

I have the first volume of the "Millenium Edition" (Republic - Domitian) and it's a lot of fun checking coins even if I already have the RIC number. 🙂 Someday I would like to get them all. 

• Like 1