New Kashmir pick up...Sussala.

Spaniard

Recent addition to the set....
Misattributed as a common Didda Rani type but straight away I knew this was Sussala. Picked it up for 4 bucks and worth a lot more due to it being a less common type!...I cleaned it slightly just to make the legend a bit clearer.
See before v after below and legend breakdown..
Ob...Ardochsho (Lakshmi) seated cross-legged facing in lalitasana (with right leg folded under and left leg hanging down), holding diadem in right hand and long-stemmed lotus in left hand, legend in Sharada script, at left: "Sri", at right: Su(ssala)
Rev..Highly stylized King standing facing, sacrificing at altar to the left, legend bottom right in Sharada script: de(va).
Date 1112-1120 CE & 1120-1127.

1961999221_20230128_Sin-ttulo.jpg.5e489058202f2c01724c01ce7cd463be.jpg

Ok...This is my 6th Sussala coin which got me looking into the four main reference books for these types, just to check out something I had inadvertently noticed....

It is generally recognised that there were two types of coin for Sussala..."Sri Sussa / deva" & "Su ssala / deva....Basically with or without "Sri"....The op coin being 'with'.
20210814_1-sussala-trident.jpg.5d9d9fcf654bb8c56ad1ea5617462b9b.jpg
1...Coins of medieval India 1894.....Sir A.Cunningham Cunningham's one example Plate V#26 (Obverse without "Sri"), but does mention there is a variety "with Sri" although no example is shown.....Reverse states "deva" but no mention of location.

20230128_8.jpg.87c86dbd833c00a6ad6fb4923058e246.jpg

2...Asiatic Society of Bengal 1879 (The copper coins of Kashmir)..C.J.Rodgers...
Rodgers one example...Plate XII#16 (Obverse without "Sri").
Reverse states "deva" to the right.

three.png.388592d1604265563e23128b36d022c7.png

3...Non-Islamic States 1979..Michael Mitchiner.
Mitchiner's one example (Obverse with "Sri").
Reverse states "deva to the right.

12.jpg.60d53f1bb9557338013efeff215387a9.jpg

4...Mediaeval Coinage of Kashmir....Kenneth W. West.
West has two examples, both rubbings from the British Museum.
1st..(Obverse without "Sri")...Reverse shows "deva" right.
2nd.(Obverse with "Sri")........Reverse shows "de" left "va" right.This also shows the trident being held in the kings right hand..

14.jpg.77465697d2c44d666044b3c8232fd00d.jpg

Ok so there seems to be at least 4 varieties...

Type 1...Obverse...Sri - Sussala
Reverse...Trident held in left hand, "Deva" bottom right.

Type 2...Obverse...Sri - Sussala
Reverse...Trident held in right hand, "De" to the left "Va"?

Type 3...Obverse...Su - ssala
Reverse...Trident in left hand, "Deva" bottm right.

Type 4....Obverse...Su - ssala
Reverse...Trident still in left hand "De"? to the right "Va".

good.jpg.0df8e2ea4ff4d61e57d99dbc60017741.jpg

Feel free to post anything related and thoughts appreciated..

• Like 13
  • Mind blown 1

Nice pickup @Spaniard!  While I have no rarities and only a few of these, I can see the appeal of these coins and I enjoy your informative posts.  Kashmir, Lohara Dynasty. Sangrama Deva. CE 1003 - 1028:

1250274748_KashmirSangramaDeva.jpg.33443b95fddb71208920f9ef76a120ec.jpg

image.png.2d700e59384fb729b675369238b58834.png

Thanks also for the reference to West's article in NI Bulletin 1978 which is available online

https://archive.org/details/numismaticsinter12n3numi/page/70/mode/2up

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 7
  • Clap 1

@Sulla80...Thanks....

That is actually a VERY nice example!

There is a quaint story as to how Sangrama became king....When Queen Didda Rani wished to choose an heir she challenged all the young males from her family to pick up the most pieces of fruit they could from a pile she had placed in front of them. The boys fought and wrestled for the fruit, but her brother's son Sangrama collected the most without engaging in any fighting. He had encited the others to fight while he calmly gathered the fruit for himself. The queen was so impressed she named him as her heir....

I actually think this would be a much better system for electing heads of state across the world...Much more democratic..😉

• Like 3
  • Smile 1

8 hours ago, Spaniard said:

@Sulla80...Thanks....

That is actually a VERY nice example!

There is a quaint story as to how Sangrama became king....When Queen Didda Rani wished to choose an heir she challenged all the young males from her family to pick up the most pieces of fruit they could from a pile she had placed in front of them. The boys fought and wrestled for the fruit, but her brother's son Sangrama collected the most without engaging in any fighting. He had encited the others to fight while he calmly gathered the fruit for himself. The queen was so impressed she named him as her heir....

I actually think this would be a much better system for electing heads of state across the world...Much more democratic..😉

I am always curious to understand "how do we know what we know?" - in this case the "River Of Kings" (Rajatarangini) is quite a resource on the history of these Kings of Kashmir: several translations from the Sanskrit of Kalhana on archive.org e.g. https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.530051/page/n261/mode/2up

• Like 3

On 1/30/2023 at 12:06 AM, Sulla80 said:

I am always curious to understand "how do we know what we know?" - in this case the "River Of Kings" (Rajatarangini) is quite a resource on the history of these Kings of Kashmir: several translations from the Sanskrit of Kalhana on archive.org e.g. https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.530051/page/n261/mode/2up

Yes a definite must read for collectors of this series..

Just in case you don't have the other references for your coin...Here you go..

Cunnigham...Sangrama Deva....Plate V #17

Mitchiner...#179-180.

Rodgers...Plate XI #12.

• Like 2