Please help

Jason

Hi folks ,

Hope you are well? Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong section. My Dad gave me a coin which he never knew where it was from and I have searched for days to find a match , any help to identify the coin I would be very grateful please ? 

thank you

jason 

EBC80B48-251C-4617-B0EC-C3F399695F3C.jpeg

2AFBEFA5-67BD-419E-9904-37901E304BA8.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Jason said:

Hi folks ,

Hope you are well? Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong section. My Dad gave me a coin which he never knew where it was from and I have searched for days to find a match , any help to identify the coin I would be very grateful please ? 

thank you

jason 

EBC80B48-251C-4617-B0EC-C3F399695F3C.jpeg

2AFBEFA5-67BD-419E-9904-37901E304BA8.jpeg

Can you tell me the weight and diameter please? Is this made of bronze or very toned silver?

This is Phillip II of Spain, minted in the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily. Reverse reads "HILARI/TAS/VNIVER/SA"

You'll find similar coins here:

http://www.rhinocoins.com/ITALY/rnapsic/FILIP2.HTML

I'm not sure we've nailed the denomination, but at least we've found the king and the country! It could be a copy - i don't know these coins well!

Edited by GregH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1

36 minutes ago, GregH said:

Can you tell me the weight and diameter please? Is this made of bronze or very toned silver?

This is Phillip II of Spain, minted in the Kingdom of Naples and Sicily. Reverse reads "HILARI/TAS/VNIVER/SA"

I'm not sure we've nailed the denomination, but at least we've found the king and the country! It could be a copy - i don't know these coins well!

From those it looks like it has to be a ducat (one of 30 legend variants!) but it’s amazing how much detail has worn off. I’m not sure why there’s nothing in the obverse left field.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, GregH said:

Hi Greg, many thanks for the feedback , great to get more insight on the coin . The coin weighs 22/23 grams and is 39mm in diameter . I am unsure if it’s Gold or Silver to be honest ,and with a lack on knowledge with coins didn’t want to damage it by trying to clean it , however it has hints of silver on the raised edges, but looks like Gold , hard to tell Greg .

thanks again for the help , very interesting 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GregH said:

Sorry Greg , I mentioned Gold and should have said Bronze , again thanks for the help . 
could I ask you would you recommend having it professionally cleaned and preserved /authenticated ? 

thanks 

Jason

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Sorry Greg , I mentioned Gold and should have said Bronze , again thanks for the help . 
could I ask you would you recommend having it professionally cleaned and preserved /authenticated ? 

thanks 

Jason

At 22g it's too light to be a ducat. I'd recommend first that you get it properly identified to see if it's rare or valuable. You'll need to find someone with expertise with Spanish coins.

It's only worth spending money on authenticating and slabbing if you have something valuable. Like a lot of people in this group, I don't like to slab coins, but that's a personal preference, and there is a strong market for slabbed coins.

As for cleaning - from the photos it appears the coin has a dark patina. The patina helps to preserve the coin, and i would leave it alone. Cleaning can detract from the coin's value. It will only be a candidate for cleaning if there is dirt and other encrustations attached to the coin.

• Like 2

How did you weigh it? 22-23g is too light, as a ducat would be over 29g. But 39mm is a ducato.

The other odd thing about it is the lack of monogram in the left obverse field, but might there be something there? The photos are not very clear. See this coin https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=257098#

I don't think cleaning would help as it is very worn. That would also make slabbing rather unprofitable, if you were trying to increase its value. It could even be a contemporary counterfeit.

• Like 1