Help Please - Unknown Trajanic Woman AE. Plotina? Matidia?

Marsyas Mike

This is not my coin and therefore not my horrible photo this time, but I was wondering if anybody could help me out with identification on this - judging by the proto-beehive hair style, it looks to be one of the Trajan-era imperial women - Plotina?  Matidia?  Marciana?  By the look of it, it is provincial, but maybe not.  I've scoured acsearch, OCRE and RPC, but that reverse type is not coming up for these women.    

1873270541_Unknown-PlotinamaybeJan2023z.jpg.dc31e5d5f5922655e47f5eb6ca645557.jpg

Help much appreciated! 

• Like 8

Thank you so much for your help, @Roman Collector and @John Conduitt - I was thinking "Trajanic" when I should've been thinking Domitianic (or however that's spelt).  

This is one of these dilemmas I get into when collecting - a person I normally can't afford (Domitia) but in a condition that is quite horrible...but again affordable.  I do like the portrait (and that hair-do!).  But the rest of it is pretty awful.  Maybe I should make a New Year's Resolution about quality?  

Thanks again - I do appreciate your help.  

• Like 4

Late for the party, but my vote also goes for Domitia. And I think @John Conduitt is right and the coin is https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/2/1319

or 1322 from Sardis.

@Marsyas Mike- you probably know that for me condition is NOT a major factor. My coins are usually with a considerable level of wear, but I try to avoid coins that are worn to the level where attribution is impossible. When it comes to rare characters, price will be a constraint, but in my opinion that coin does not add numismatic value to your collection.

Domitia provincial coins are not that expensive and I think you can find one at a very decent price.
Here is mine - also not the most beautiful in the world, but attribution was easy and clear

image.png.3051c90fdf80523bc81d7c487198f4f5.png

Ionia. Magnesia ad Sipylum. Domitia AD 82-96.
Bronze Æ
15 mm, 2,86 g
ΔΟΜΙΤΙΑ ϹƐΒΑϹΤΗ, draped bust of Domitia, right / ΜΑΓΝΗ ϹΙΠΥ, river god reclining l., holding branch of plant and cornucopia over inverted pot from which flows water
RPC II, 986; BMC 56; Cop 259

The main reason I bought this coin was that I saw nobody was bidding on it when the auction was live. So I decided that 10 euros is decent, even if I can't say it's one of my favorite coins. Good news is that the green spot on the reverse is not BD as it's stable.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this post - I did decide to purchase the OP.  It had a "buy it now" price as well as a bidding option.  I passed on the (higher) "buy it now" option as the coin is in such poor shape.  I waited for the auction to close and went for it, with no other bidders interested.  $19.99 - probably not my most brilliant purchase, but when I opened the envelope, I was more pleased with the coin that I thought I would be.  Off-center, very, very worn, and overly cleaned, it has a terrific hair-do on an empress I did not have (and cannot usually afford).  I also liked the mellow brassy color.  

So here she is, Domitia, wife of Domitian, on a brass coin from Sardes:

456122188_SardisLydia-DomitiaBouleNemesisstandingRPC1322-MINE2023pic0.jpg.aa4abdf3f0ba6db6d746c18b34d422c6.jpg

Domitia   Æ 21 T. Fl. Metrodoros, Strategos Sardis, Lydia (c. 82-96 A.D.) [Δ]OMITIA C[ЄBACTH], draped bust right / [ЄΠI T ΦΛ MHTPOΔΩPOY C]TPAT B CAPΔ[IANΩN], Boule and Nemesis, holding cubit rule, standing facing one another. (4.34 grams / 21 x 20 mm) eBay Jan. 2023 $19.99

Notes: Based on Naumann / RPC die-match, this appears to be: RPC 1322 var. (reverse legend); SNG von Aulock -; SNG Copenhagen -; BMC129 (same); Weber 6910 (same).

Die-Match Obv. & Rev.: Numismatik Naumann Auction 98; Lot 538; 03.01.2021 Note:  this is RPC 1322 No. 21

Here is a die-match I found - at least I think so, mine being so worn.  This was an RPC example via an auction - it is in much better condition, obviously:

4783517_SardisLydia-DomitiaBouleNemesisstandingRPC1322-MINE2023pic0COM.jpg.803e3ad460503dbde56f5c3b4ebe35c2.jpg

Here is the International Numismatic Bureau "slab" this came in from eBay - the date range is in the ballpark anyway.  These do not require a hammer or vise to break open; I used my thumbnail:  

1385739839_SardisLydia-DomitiaBouleNemesisstandingRPC1322-MINE2023pic1.jpg.e78f0dbb24d47fc9dc4a91b64b926e4a.jpg

As those of you familiar with eBay will know, these slabs are very common.  Mostly they contain very low grade LRBs or "widow's mites", but I have occasionally found some interesting coins, Seleucid countermarks, etc.  So I'll give them a look over, just in case.  

Thank you @John Conduitt @Roman Collectorand @ambr0zie for helping me with this.  

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1