A denarius of M. Vargunteius I received as a Christmas present

Roman Collector

My wife indulged my coin habit again this Christmas! She's the best! She gave me this attractive denarius of M. Vargunteius featuring Jupiter in a quadriga.

1338562141_MVargunteiusdenarius.jpg.6230ce830604dda90efddc9e8d5f1fcc.jpg
M. Vargunteius, 130 BCE.
Roman AR Denarius, 3.87 g, 18.4 mm, 1 h.
Rome mint, 130 BCE.
Obv: Helmeted head of Roma right,
M • (VAR) G behind, mark of value * below chin.
Rev: Jupiter driving triumphal quadriga right, holding palm frond and thunderbolt.
Refs:
Crawford RRC 257/1; Sydenham CRR 507; RSC Vargunteia 1; Sear 133; Kestner 2314-5; BMCRR Rome 1068-9; RBW 1048.

Let's see your recently-acquired Republican denarii, other examples of this coin, or anything you feel is relevant!

Edited by Roman Collector
  • Like 20
  • Heart Eyes 4

• Roman Collector changed the title to A denarius of M. Vargunteius I received as a Christmas present
On 12/25/2022 at 8:51 AM, Qcumbor said:

I don't have the type yet. Two denarii from the last Leu webauction are on their way, hopefully they will show up soon

I was disappointed to find out that, for an auction conducted Dec. 3-6, they did not intend to mail the coins until January. Yesterday I got this response to my inquiry:
"As informed in the email accompanying the invoice, we will ship the orders of WA24 in January. Indeed, due to bank holidays and the very high quantity of lots we need time to prepare the more than 1100 orders and can and start shipments next week.

"You will receive the tracking number when the parcel has been dispatched."  

• Shock 1