Arcadius Siliqua

Magnus Maximus

Hi guys, 
I purchased this Arcadius siliqua a few months ago but am just now getting around to posting it. The coin is a common issue struck from Trier from 392 to 395 AD, which means it was likely struck under the reign of the Western usurper Eugenius; potentially to curry favor with Theodosius I in the east. With the division of the Western and Eastern halves of the Roman empire after the death of Theodosius I in 395, Trier lost its importance as a military and political center, and the mint was closed down and moved to Arles. Somehow my coin made its way to Britain and was later deposited in the "Gussage All Saints Hoard." My coin at most circulated a decade or so before being buried in a clay pot with 621 other Roman coins as post-Roman Britain deteriorated into anarchy. Fun fact, I also have another siliqua from the same hoard!
I like coins from this period as they represent the twilight of the Roman Empire in the West. After the deaths of Magnus Maximus and Eugenius in 388 and 394, respectively, the West's legions were in tatters, its economy was in terminal decline, and imperial legitimacy was waning. However, the Roman wolf would continue to limp on until finally being put out of its misery in 476 A.D.

Please post your coins of Flavius Arcadius or any other coins from 388 to 400 AD.

Thanks!

0.thumb.jpg.e4dfc6747453af2df3c29d7a3af147f8.jpg0.thumb.jpg.0c9af0891c157e1747293157dfd3e80e.jpg0.thumb.jpg.ba3d2deb0f9783e271ab1564e0c18fe2.jpg0.thumb.jpg.42f6db467fe324def9f87028ce9bafc8.jpg

• Like 10
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

I love the history, so interesting. Where did you learn that from? Only asking because I want to clearly understand that period.

Here is my Eugenius.

DBE8CC99-D212-49CA-9970-58195B1BF570.jpeg.ee2642be9f61c31ed7d8b77f976d0dba.jpeg

Eugenius AR Siliqua. Mediolanum, AD 392-394. D N EVGENIVS P F AVG, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right / VIRTVS ROMANORVM, Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reverse spear; MDPS in exergue. RIC IX 32c; RSC 14†b. 1.16g, 16mm, 12h. Very Fine; toned, some deposits and clipped. 

• Like 3
  • Yes 1

I got this one, @Magnus Maximus, to make YOURS look really good!

However, the collectors mark on mine is kinda cool.

upload_2021-1-24_14-41-4.png
upload_2021-1-24_14-42-46.png
ROME
Arcadius, AD 395-408
AR Siliqua, 16mm, 1.1g, 12h.
Obv.: DN ARCADI-VS PF AVG; Pearl diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Rev.: VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear.

Mint mart unclear ( Looks like the mint worker used his SHARPIE and wrote in "88" for the mint mark...  :D )

Comment: Collector's number code on reverse - "88" ?
From the @dougsmit Collection, #2829
Ex: @John Anthony

• Like 5

• Benefactor

Arcadius' siliquae aren't of the better style generaly speaking, mine is no exception. On the other hand I have been lucky enough 25 years ago to snag an exceptional AE2

0658b8dc606d4e60bd3864ecfb4d8b89.jpg

Arcadius, Siliqua - Treveri mint, 2nd officina
D N ARCADI VS P F AVG, diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
VIRTVS RO MANORVM, Roma seated left, holding Victory and spear, TRPS at exergue
Ref : RIC # 106, Roman coins # 4227

9310a81e28e64e67a6c804e514cd6df2.jpg

Arcadius, AE 2 - Alexandria mint, 3rd officina
D N ARCADIVS P F AVG, Diademed bust of Arcadius right
VIRTS EXERCITI (sic !), Arcadius, standing right, a captive at right foot, holding globe and standard. ALE gamma at exergue
6.28 gr
Ref : RIC # 18, RC #4230, LRBC #2896 var

Q

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Alegandron said:

I got this one, @Magnus Maximus, to make YOURS look really good!

However, the collectors mark on mine is kinda cool.

upload_2021-1-24_14-41-4.png
upload_2021-1-24_14-42-46.png
ROME
Arcadius, AD 395-408
AR Siliqua, 16mm, 1.1g, 12h.
Obv.: DN ARCADI-VS PF AVG; Pearl diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Rev.: VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; Roma seated left on cuirass, holding Victory on globe and reversed spear.

Mint mart unclear ( Looks like the mint worker used his SHARPIE and wrote in "88" for the mint mark...  :D )

Comment: Collector's number code on reverse - "88" ?
From the @dougsmit Collection, #2829
Ex: @John Anthony

Wow, still really attractive, despite all the damage! Having spoken to a few older german numismatists, i learned that back in the days, it was common for collectors to polish the hell out of their coins, as well as applying numbers to them - mostly with ink, but in the worst case with a small chisel - to make them "easily recognizable". Makes me wonder if some of the things we do with our coins will be condemned by the generations after us! Also, the number on the reverse is definately a 33. Any idea what the spot on Roma's leg could be?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Helvius Pertinax said:

Wow, still really attractive, despite all the damage! Having spoken to a few older german numismatists, i learned that back in the days, it was common for collectors to polish the hell out of their coins, as well as applying numbers to them - mostly with ink, but in the worst case with a small chisel - to make them "easily recognizable". Makes me wonder if some of the things we do with our coins will be condemned by the generations after us! Also, the number on the reverse is definately a 33. Any idea what the spot on Roma's leg could be?

Possibly a start of a hole to pin the coin to armor or clothing..?