Another Inexpensive & Humble Bronze

David Atherton

I seem to be on a roll with these sub $40 coins lately (this one @ $30). Please keep up the ebay is trash threads so I can find the treasures. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ebay is what you make of it.

ย 

V1225.jpg.693c78d08b5a6082b67aea533a140bf9.jpg

Vespasian

ร† Dupondius, 11.25g
Lyon mint, 77-78 AD
Obv: IMP CAES VESPASIAN AVG COS VIII P P; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.; globe at point of bust
Rev: S C in field; Victory flying l., with shield inscribed SPQR
RIC 1225 (C2). BMC 839. BNC 836.
Acquired from eBay, November 2022.

A somewhat common Victory type unique to Lyon for Vespasian that was struck during his massive Lugdunese bronze issues of 71-72 and again in 77-78. It copies an earlier type produced for Nero at the mint. This example from 77-78 is characterised by the mint's distinctive style, globe at the point of the bust, and the majestic, sweeping Victory on the reverse. A majority of the Flavian bronzes found in France and the UK dating to Vespasian's reign are from the Lyon mint. Apparently there was a real need for another western mint to help supplement Rome's coinage production!

Yes, it is worn, but very pleasing in hand. It's pretty obvious I'm no condition hound!

As always, thanks for looking!

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

5 hours ago, David Atherton said:

I seem to be on a roll with these sub $40 coins lately (this one @ $30). Please keep up the ebay is trash threads so I can find the treasures. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ebay is what you make of it.

To be fair, it takes a lot of learning and experience to make much of eBay. I get good deals on great coins of types I'm confident about, and some I rarely or never see anywhere else. But others I don't dare touch. You have to earn the ability to mine the gems.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kevikens said:

Imagineย  what it could say it say if it could speak to us.

That's the thing, no matter how much I listen, they never speak - which is why I collect coins of (much) higher grade. The beauty of a coin speaks to me ๐Ÿ™‚

eBay is interesting to say the least. Probably a top ten purchase for me was this denarius of Octavian and Mark Antony I won at an auction for $100. You can get some pretty good deals if you know your ancients. I'm still learning but I know that this is pretty rare.

15436787-3B74-42B0-9F4A-0A22977024AF.jpeg

9E24EFEB-8921-4DF2-ACC3-9DE6C10D4546.jpeg

• Like 4