Probus - Lugdunum - ORIES AVG upgrade

maridvnvm

As many may know, one of my collecting areas of focus is the coinage of Probus from Lugdunum.

In the second emission one of the reverse types is ORIENS AVG, Sol walking left, as per the following examples:-

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, Radiate cuirassed bust right
Rev:– ORIENS AVG, Sol walking left between two captives, right hand raised, left holding globe.
Minted in Lugdunum (I in exe) Emission 2 Officina 1. from November to December A.D. 276
Reference:– Cohen 388. Bastien 164. RIC 44 Bust type F.

RI_132aj_img.jpg
RI_132rg_img.jpg

Bastien 164c notes the existence of a variant with the reverse error ORIES AVG with the following reverse die.

RI_132zh_img.JPG

Luckily such an error often goes under the radar and thus I was able to obtain the following example from the same reverse die which is an all-round upgrade on my first example

RI_132zq_img.JPG

I happened to stumble across another ORIES AVG but from a different reverse die some years ago. Note the letter placement of AVG on the reverse. I know the obverse on this one isn't great but I am happy to have them all in my collection.

RI_132so_img.jpg

• Like 12