New addition

zadie

I was fortunate to add another cistophor last week. What makes this a particularly exciting pickup for me is that not only is it an unpublished and extremely rare type, it is also a governor that I was missing entirely from the collection.

image.thumb.jpeg.543a64698d87ae1712dcfb0787dab31d.jpeg

Promagisterial Cistophori. Publius Cornelius Lentulus Spinther as Proconsul of Cilicia. AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm. Laodicea on the Lycus, 56-53 BC. Anaxagoras son of Artemidoros, magistrate. Serpent emerging from cista mystica; all within wreath / P · LENTVLVS · P · F · PRO · COS. Two serpents entwined by a bow case. In the left field, ΛΑΟ. In the exergue, ΑΝΑΞΑΓΟΡ[ΑΣ] / ΑΡΤΕΜΙ[ΔΩΡΟΥ]. 26 mm, 12.03 g. Stumpf -; Metcalf -. Unpublished. One of only two known: cf. Nomos, Web 16. Lot 872 (Hammer 600 CHF).

Edited by zadie
  • Like 15
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

11 minutes ago, zadie said:

I was fortunate to add another cistophor last week. What makes this a particularly exciting pickup for me is that not only is it an unpublished and extremely rare type, it is also a governor that I was missing entirely from the collection.

image.thumb.jpeg.543a64698d87ae1712dcfb0787dab31d.jpeg

Promagisterial Cistophori. Publius Lentulus Spinther as Proconsul of Cilicia. AR Cistophoric Tetradrachm. Laodicea on the Lycus, 56-53 BC. Anaxagoras son of Artemidoros, magistrate. Serpent emerging from cista mystica; all within wreath / P · LENTVLVS · P · F · PRO · COS. Two serpents entwined by a bow case. In the left field, ΛΑΟ. In the exergue, ΑΝΑΞΑΓΟΡ[ΑΣ] / ΑΡΤΕΜΙ[ΔΩΡΟΥ]. 26 mm, 12.03 g. Stumpf -; Metcalf -. Unpublished. One of only two known: cf. Nomos, Web 16. Lot 872 (Hammer 600 CHF).

Congrats. gorgeous coin, and hard to find! 

• Like 1