Could use some help on this please.

bcuda

I have three of these that I found metal detecting back when I was finding Roman coins about 30 years ago. I have never been able to figure out what they are for sure. Have seen a few for sale but does not seem that the ones selling them know for sure what they might be either. Anyone able to help me out on what these might be ?

scale.jpg

Edited by bcuda
  • Like 7

I think @The Pontian is right. I suppose these metals were found with Roman coins, so of the same period. The 2 points on the back side can give an indication. I have some appliques for houses in my collection, but there are a few holes to fix it. So maybe, you 2 points were to fix it an a soft curtain or something like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, antwerpen2306 said:

I think @The Pontian is right. I suppose these metals were found with Roman coins, so of the same period. The 2 points on the back side can give an indication. I have some appliques for houses in my collection, but there are a few holes to fix it. So maybe, you 2 points were to fix it an a soft curtain or something like that.

The applique's I have seen all seem to have points on them like a nail so it could be nailed to wood. The piece I am referring to has big hammered down rivet heads on the two post like if they were to be held onto some type of leather, almost like buttons that would pass through a hole to stay put.  They also seem to be a common item what ever they are considering I have three of them and have seen two of them for sale. I also might add that one of them is as small as a small LRB Constantine coin or a US dime and has the large rivet heads on it also.  These were found in Spain and the two I have seen for sale were from Spain I think they could be from a time period  200BC of the Iberian coinage all the way to the Roman mid 300 AD time frame.

Edited by bcuda
  • Like 1
  • Yes 1

Yes they look to have been peened over....Due to the size of the peened head maybe fixed onto another metal plate of some description but it also could have been leather...Certainly wasn't a thin flimsy material...

Neat looking pieces!

Edited by Spaniard
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Spaniard said:

Yes they look to have been peened over....Due to the size of the peened head maybe fixed onto another metal plate of some description but it also could have been leather...Certainly wasn't a thin flimsy material...

Neat looking pieces!

I am thinking that they were attached to some kind of leather, maybe on some horse harness or some kind of belt like what @Spaniard posted. I would almost bet that they are Iberian as all of the ones I have and seen all came from Spain. If anyone else has an idea please give me your opinion.

• Like 3

On 11/21/2022 at 4:12 PM, kevikens said:

Any chance they are from a later period, say Napoleonic?

I dont think so, the ones found by me were all found at Iberian or Roman spots.

I just noticed I have another one so that makes 4 of them and I just purchased the one that I had posted in my first post so I have 5 of something that I dont know what it is now. 

scales.jpg

• Like 3