Need Help with Identification of this coin!!

Jeswin123

Hello, I am new here, so please do mind if I make any mistake in describing my issue. I have this coin, which I presume is an 1 Abbasi according to my research, but I would want to know more about it, and also whether I was right about the denomination of the coin. I tried a lot to find more information online but could not find any such coin which exactly looks the same. If someone can also help me with this it would be highly appreciated, thanks!!

coin1.jpg

coin2.jpg

• Like 3

I think what you need to look for is a date. The bottom image is, I think, the obverse, while the reverse just has a standard inscription. In the middle section to the right, it looks like ١٠٥٩ (AH1059), which is AD1649.

One coin from that year is this Abbasi of Abbas II Safavi, from Tabrīz in Iran.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 5

Ok... Actually I don't know much about numismatics and whatever I can gather from here is all I have. Thanks a lot by the way!!! I have found similar coins, like the one you suggested, but I cannot find exactly the same coin.

Edited by Jeswin123
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jeswin123 said:

Ok... Actually I don't know much about numismatics and whatever I can gather from here is all I have. Thanks a lot by the way!!! I have found similar coins, like the one you suggested, but I cannot find exactly the same coin.

I think, although I don't read Arabic, it is the same coin. There are only small differences, such as in the three dots at the bottom right of the reverse, and the border is a little shifted around. It's common for hammered coins not to all be quite the same. In the 15 years it was minted, there would have been a lot of new dies needed, and the engraver might mix things up a little. The text seems to be the same, although you do tend to have to check everything, as one word can make all the difference!

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

I think, although I don't read Arabic, it is the same coin. There are only small differences, such as in the three dots at the bottom right of the reverse, and the border is a little shifted around. It's common for hammered coins not to all be quite the same. In the 15 years it was minted, there would have been a lot of new dies needed, and the engraver might mix things up a little. The text seems to be the same, although you do tend to have to check everything, as one word can make all the difference!

Yeah it could be true as you said, after all these are not high-tech machinery which will give the exact same results every time. And I guess I just have to wait patiently until someone who is well versed with this coin can throw some more light on it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeswin123 said:

Yeah it could be true as you said, after all these are not high-tech machinery which will give the exact same results every time. And I guess I just have to wait patiently until someone who is well versed with this coin can throw some more light on it. 

I don't think I've seen two hammered coins the same, let alone two with different dies.

By the way, you should provide the weight and diameter of coins, as that can make it easier to identify. You could tell the denomination much more easily.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

I don't think I've seen two hammered coins the same, let alone two with different dies.

By the way, you should provide the weight and diameter of coins, as that can make it easier to identify. You could tell the denomination much more easily.

Unfortunately I only have the photos as this is related to a research project I have been assigned, and I've been told to find the specs of the coin. I know it's too difficult to ascertain certain aspects with just a pic, but this is all I have. 

• Like 1