Treasure of Tomares

Al Kowsky

I stumbled on this excellent article by Vicente G. Olaya on the Treasure of Tomares, a hoard of 53,000 nummi 😮 from the first & second Tetrarchy that was found in Spain 6 years ago. I wonder what effect these coins will have on the market when released 🤔?

An expert examines the coins found inside the amphorae that were destroyed by a digger. One of the amphorae containing Roman coins found in Tomares (Seville).

https://english.elpais.com/culture/2022-11-03/researchers-unveil-secrets-of-the-largest-stash-of-roman-coins-ever-found-in-spain.html

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 3
  • Heart Eyes 1

Well, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for these to hit the market any time soon, if at all !

It's taken them 6 years for researchers to come up with this preliminary study of 5,899 of the estimated "Too big to study" 53,000 coins, and nine of the amphora (of the 19 total) still haven't even been opened!

I haven't yet found the report mentioned in that article, but Google did find this presentation at the upcoming INC XVI :

https://indico3.conference4me.psnc.pl/event/6/contributions/363/

Given the 294-311 AD date range (based on what they've seen so far), it does make me wonder what sort of early Constantine goodies may be in there !

Then there's the Misurata hoard, found in Libya in 1981, containing about 108,000 coins, about which very little has yet been published (just a few highlights).

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 2
  • Shock 1

6 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

Well, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for these to hit the market any time soon, if at all !

It's taken them 6 years for researchers to come up with this preliminary study of 5,899 of the estimated "Too big to study" 53,000 coins, and nine of the amphora (of the 19 total) still haven't even been opened!

I haven't yet found the report mentioned in that article, but Google did find this presentation at the upcoming INC XVI :

https://indico3.conference4me.psnc.pl/event/6/contributions/363/

Given the 294-311 AD date range (based on what they've seen so far), it does make me wonder what sort of early Constantine goodies may be in there !

Then there's the Misurata hoard, found in Libya in 1981, containing about 108,000 coins, about which very little has yet been published (just a few highlights).

I probably won't see the results of those hoards in my lifetime but I'm sure many new varieties will be discovered 😉.