Sept. Sev. eastern IMP II, Fortuna as Hilaritas variations

maridvnvm

These eastern mints have a whole range of Fortuna types by this I mean that the reverse legends are Fortuna based but the deity is not always the standard Fortuna with rudder and cornucopia types. One of these other types is Fortuna as Hilaritas i.e. holding long palm and cornucopiae

RIC lists a single variant in the main listings - RIC 453

Obv:– L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP II, Laureate head right
Rev:– FORT R-EDVC, Fortuna (Hilaritas), standing front, head left, holding long palm and cornucopiae
Minted in Laodicea-ad-Mare, A.D. 194
References:– RSC 157, RIC 453 (Scarce) citing Cohen 157 where the the reverse description has been accidentally curtailed

RI_064bi_img.jpg

RIC does mention two other variants in the footnotes - as above but PERET instead of PERT in the obverse legend and FORT RDVC (sic) with PERTE instead of PERT in the obverse legend

I have an example of this second variation. By the way the obverse of this coin is the origin of my avatar

Obv:– L SEPT SEV P-ERTE AVG IMP - II, Laureate head right
Rev:– FORT R-DVC, Fortuna (Hilaritas), standing front, head left, holding long palm and cornucopiae

RI_064be_img.jpg

I have a different variation from the other footnoted coin but my coin has PERTE instead of PERET

Obv:- L SEPT SEV PE-RTE AVG IMP II, laureate head right
Rev:- FORT REDVC, Fortuna (Hilaritas), standing front, head left, holding long palm and cornucopiae.
Minted in Laodicea-ad-Mare. A.D. 194
Reference(s) – BMC -. RIC -. RSC -.

RI_064vi_img.JPG

PERET and FORT RDEVC

Fortuna (Hilaritas), standing front, head left, holding long palm and cornucopiae
References:– RIC -

This brittle coin was broken and being held together by the 2x2 it was held in. I didn't know this until I freed it and dozens of little flakes of coin poured out. They were too small for me to make any attempt at reconstruction

RI_064pa_img.jpg

PERET and FORTVN REDVCC or possibly REDVCV

Obv:- L SEPT SEV PE-RET AVG IMP I - I, laureate head right
Rev:- FORTVN R-EDVCC (sic), Fortuna (Hilaritas), standing front, head left, holding long palm and cornucopiae.
Reference(s) – BMC -. RIC -. RSC -.

RI_064si_img.jpg

Another peculiarity PERTE with FORT R AVG

Obv:– L SEPT SEV PERTE AVG IMP II, Laureate head right
Rev:– FORT R AVG, Fortuna (Hilaritas), standing front, head left, holding long palm and cornucopiae
Reference:– BMCRE -. RIC -. RSC -.

RI_064ma_img.jpg

• Like 14
  • Cookie 1

• 11 months later...

Just about a year later and I have added an alternative (double die match?) to the IMP II = RDEVC above

Some find marks on the obverse combined with what looks like a nice sharp reverse.

RI_064vw_img.JPG

There appears to be a doe break forming on the D in RDEVC. The E does not appear to have a central bar. You can see evidence of the engraver's worlk in the vertical bar of the D.

RI064vwreva.JPG.23d9205689f9bc3546e4b3181492a6b1.JPG

• Like 4
  • Cookie 1