another constantanius?

I was going to guess 360's (although I don't collect late Roman bronzes).  Did Julian make any bust right AE3's?  The chin is kind of jutting, like a beard.

Are you getting these locally?  

Especially with LRB's, it's pretty difficult to peg down specific references or even specific emperors if the mintmarks and legends are gone.  Given that many of the LRB's are being sourced from the Balkans, I'd guess Siscia.

9 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I was going to guess 360's (although I don't collect late Roman bronzes).  Did Julian make any bust right AE3's?  The chin is kind of jutting, like a beard.

Are you getting these locally?  

Especially with LRB's, it's pretty difficult to peg down specific references or even specific emperors if the mintmarks and legends are gone.  Given that many of the LRB's are being sourced from the Balkans, I'd guess Siscia.

i just started collecting roman and greek bronzes. i pick these up whenever and wherever i can on the cheap. to me on these badly worn down ones, it is the thrill of the hunt to try to identify them or at least a general id. i prefer the greek bronzes especially macedonians. but i grab these LRB's up also.

Ok, I understand; it's more of the thrill of the hunt for you.  I don't know if you've checked out vcoins.  I also dropped the tip about dirtyoldcoins.  I've heard that Holyland Coins are very popular at coin shows. They'd probably have some stuff in a budget.

Hmm, under that criteria, you might try the earlier Roman empire, like 1AD-150 AD.  Portraits were much more realistic and it's much easier to ID worn ones.  In general, by the mid 4th century, portraits were relatively generic.

I briefly dipped my toe back into 'uncleaneds', although it's pretty tough to get a real uncleaned nowadays.  'Uncleaned' now often means half-cleaned or a totally cleaned, pick bin coin.  Anyway, I ordered three of dirtyoldcoins provincial $7 offerings.  Although one has a bad case of bronze disease, the others weren't a bad deal at all.  Totally identifiable (the non bronze disease ones) and the Augustus Antioch 'As' actually wasn't bad. But like I said, I bet some will have bronze disease.  One was a fairly decrepit but large Trebonianus Gallus? Octassarion from Antioch, the other a relatively nice Augustus Antioch SC 'As', and the bronze disease one might well be a worse version of the Gallus. That's probably the best sub $10 deal that I know of.

90% of the $3 Holy Land 'uncleaneds' (not uncleaned) were identifiable, but probably 1/3 had bronze disease. They varied wildly from LRBs to Islamic coppers.

22 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Ok, I understand; it's more of the thrill of the hunt for you.  I don't know if you've checked out vcoins.  I also dropped the tip about dirtyoldcoins.  I've heard that Holyland Coins are very popular at coin shows. They'd probably have some stuff in a budget.

Hmm, under that criteria, you might try the earlier Roman empire, like 1AD-150 AD.  Portraits were much more realistic and it's much easier to ID worn ones.  In general, by the mid 4th century, portraits were relatively generic.

I briefly dipped my toe back into 'uncleaneds', although it's pretty tough to get a real uncleaned nowadays.  'Uncleaned' now often means half-cleaned or a totally cleaned, pick bin coin.  Anyway, I ordered three of dirtyoldcoins provincial $7 offerings.  Although one has a bad case of bronze disease, the others weren't a bad deal at all.  Totally identifiable (the non bronze disease ones) and the Augustus Antioch 'As' actually wasn't bad. But like I said, I bet some will have bronze disease.  One was a fairly decrepit but large Trebonianus Gallus? Octassarion from Antioch, the other a relatively nice Augustus Antioch SC 'As', and the bronze disease one might well be a worse version of the Gallus. That's probably the best sub $10 deal that I know of.

90% of the $3 Holy Land 'uncleaneds' (not uncleaned) were identifiable, but probably 1/3 had bronze disease. They varied wildly from LRBs to Islamic coppers.

i have picked up a few from dirtyoldcoins that were very easy to ID. got a couple from vcoins that were good also. i do like to hit ebay up for the really cheap lots , but those are the hit and miss lottery style, a few have turned out identifiable and ok. i did pick up a handfull from a local pawn shop that deals in mainly US silver. luckily i havent gotten ahold of one that has had bronze disease yet.

Edited by CaptCaveman45