Augustus dupondius of the Moneyer series

dougsmit

At the show, I was given a coin that I recognized as bearing a countermark ligate IMP from the dupondius series naming a member of the III VIR colleges.  These are usually pretty bad looking and this is no exception but I thought I should be able to decipher it from the remaining letters.  My first guess was Sanguinius but I am doubting that now.  These seem to vary a lot in weight.  this is 8.97g.  Help/comments appreciated. 00aadupondiuscm.jpg.5769781d1e20001e7825274a63ca85e0.jpg00aadupondiuscminset.jpg.de6e99b865fa00c033ff74487d8210bf.jpg

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, dougsmit said:

At the show, I was given a coin that I recognized as bearing a countermark ligate IMP from the dupondius series naming a member of the III VIR colleges.  These are usually pretty bad looking and this is no exception but I thought I should be able to decipher it from the remaining letters.  My first guess was Sanguinius but I am doubting that now.  These seem to vary a lot in weight.  this is 8.97g.  Help/comments appreciated.

I see " M SALVIVI O[THO III VIR]"

possiby this reverse? would be an amazing coin if right: grandfather of the short-lived emperor of the same name in 69 AD?

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6709440

image.png.5b89a01889d19ede375bb9cf5e8288d1.png

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 6
  • Yes 1

24 minutes ago, dougsmit said:

That seems reasonable from what I see.  Should I be bothered that all the coins I see of this moneyer are the other denominations?  Thank you very much.

I am bothered by it and by date of issue - this coin maybe a good comparator for M. Sanquinius  https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3275636

image.png.3f5703cfddf3163aaf3683116403da0e.png

(I can't make the letters M SANQVINIVS Q fit what I see on your coin)

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 4