need just a little help on this Constantine I

I see no helmet on your coin but attach a Constantine I with it.  These were issued from more than one mint and by more than one ruler.  I may be imagining that I see SIS on your coin (reverse bottom) which would make it from the Siscia mint like mine. The shield is inscribed VOT PR  (vows to the people of Rome).  I am less certain about whether your coin shows Constantine I Augustus or his son Constantine II whose legend would end with a C for Caesar.  In poor condition, ID is not easy.  

rv4860b01555lg.jpg.6350a12bf8483631b608569f607b32fd.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dougsmit said:

I see no helmet on your coin but attach a Constantine I with it.  These were issued from more than one mint and by more than one ruler.  I may be imagining that I see SIS on your coin (reverse bottom) which would make it from the Siscia mint like mine. The shield is inscribed VOT PR  (vows to the people of Rome).  I am less certain about whether your coin shows Constantine I Augustus or his son Constantine II whose legend would end with a C for Caesar.  In poor condition, ID is not easy.  

rv4860b01555lg.jpg.6350a12bf8483631b608569f607b32fd.jpg

the obverse legend I can make out "CONSTANTI" and it does look like it ends with a "C"

on the reverse it looks like "IIS*S" where yours says "rSIS"

While a sharper photo might help, given the possibilities from the known cataloged options, my best guess, and only a guess, is ASIS (first workshop from Siscia) for Constantine II Caesar.  An expert in the series might see something in the style that I miss (this is not my specialty by any means).  Someone who has handled 10,000 coins of this type has a great advantage over those who have 10.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dougsmit said:

While a sharper photo might help, given the possibilities from the known cataloged options, my best guess, and only a guess, is ASIS (first workshop from Siscia) for Constantine II Caesar.  An expert in the series might see something in the style that I miss (this is not my specialty by any means).  Someone who has handled 10,000 coins of this type has a great advantage over those who have 10.  

i think i found a coin very similar to mine, but where do i find out the information on it?

Yp2LKTk8Lz7pj5Bx3MiMfc4R9wPwrb.jpg

• Like 2

The obvious place is the standard reference book Roman Imperial Coinage (RIC) volume VII but searching for sale of similar coins might provide information.  What do you hope to learn about the coin?  The text portion of RIC is more full of information than the catalog of types but there is a lot to be gained by seeing the patterns of what changed between issues, etc.

i am new at collecting roman and greek coins, i know very little about this era of coins. so i am just trying to put a portfolio/reference page together with the coin

i am collecting for my granddaughter. and  trying to catalog and reference all the coins into a portfolio so that when she gets old enough, she will know exactly what everything is. 

That's a very nice thing to do.  There are many dealers on vcoins where one can pick up some fairly nice coins,inexpensively.

Or, from my recent experience, the 'high grade holy land uncleaneds' ($12 or 13) at dirtyoldcoins.com might be perfect for you.  They're mostly like the orange one you most recently referenced, if my order is the norm.  These particular ones didn't really need cleaning and they'd be MUCH easier to identify. I'd stay away from the cheapie (sub-$10 ones) ones.  Those were hit or miss, mostly miss.  The 'high grade' ones I got were pretty much like the photo.  These actually might look better than the 'restored' ones they had at the same price. The $7 provincials were an excellent deal, but some have bronze disease.  One out of the three I got did.

Per identification; Is E.R.I.C. still available online?

There's also wildwinds, too for identification.

Also, be careful handling these.  Don't do it with moist hands or breathe on the coins.  There's something called bronze disease, bright green 'fuzz.'  That's bad.