Help to check prices please.

Spaniard

Had these coins up for sale in the cabinet for a while now and they haven't moved so I'll put them on ebay. What's the general feel on my prices?..I've looked around and they all seem fair to me any thoughts?

Some feedback would be appreciated. 

normal_LIC1TOGETHER.jpg.10e63ae2f54c9cb6b085766c77a493b7.jpg

$48

760561331_normal_MAX_TOGETHHER(1).jpg.2bb8dd3d4f174103b0f4537ea1d679b7.jpg

$40

1739695969_licinius_II(1).jpg.79c41ab69fcecc9b8c68f520f545bd31.jpg

$22

normal_galnew_together.jpg.e64fc193df1e98810d13688aac337e1c.jpg

1890947866_galeriusticket.JPG.4c94a1d5b4bb7142d6e10a6c786299fe.JPG

$60

649374173_GALVALTOGETHER(1).jpg.3026dfb57c324e9e159a982ae9dd3e29.jpg

$48

20220918_191608.thumb.jpg.ad7eff64e1458953c07835c35cd1f4e8.jpg.0502e1b92f4397d50803fe4ecf83172b.jpg

$32

arc.jpg.61b21168adc889d1e74446be9e01d93f-1.jpg.73a75df3ec486181325af0bb41611746.jpg

$15

• Like 10

Your prices look ok. None are high and some are towards the low end.

I haven't worked out the secret for selling Roman bronzes, even on eBay. A beat-up denarius, no problem. Off-centre wire kopeks sell for more than I buy them. Weakly-struck Golden Horde dirhams shift like loo roll in a pandemic. Even Roman coins so worn you can't even work out what they are don't get much change from 5 dollars. But no takers for collectable condition Roman bronzes?

Perhaps the people that collect Roman bronzes need a few of the type to choose from. They're common, and good condition is affordable. Maybe they all head to VCoins, at least once they've been burned by eBay fakes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While I can't help with the prices, I can say that the ads on here don't have much reach. The views I have seen on the ads are between mid 20s to mid 30s. Reddit might have a wider audience, and ebay definitely wider, though you're paying for it. I've tried listing my ex-bcd coins on here and on reddit and they've garnered very little attention, I've sold a whopping 2. I didn't even finish listing, or adding details to my current listings on here, once I realized what little reach they have. I will probably just end up stashing them in the back of the bottom most coin drawer I have and forgetting about them.

• Like 1

Your prices are reasonable. Sometimes you need to let a coin sit for months before you get a taker. That's been my experience.

I was eyeing your Licinius I and II, because i need better examples of these common emperors, and those look just fine to me!

However my coin budget is non-existent after i received two extraordinary bills (totaling five figures!) for mechanical repairs to a couple of cars.

Hopefully Juno Moneta will smile favourably at me again one day ...

• Like 1
  • Cry 1

I also think the prices are reasonable but their "problem" is that they are common (in a degree) and the condition is not spectacular (I am not a LRBs collector as main focus area, but most of my collection consists in coins with similar characteristics). But what I noticed in auctions is that people tend to fight over coins in spectacular condition even if they are common. I prefer rarer coins in worse conditions, with non standard reverses.

And I agree with this idea

6 hours ago, EtTu said:

I can say that the ads on here don't have much reach.

I listed 4 Switzerland coins belonging to a friend of mine at his request (he doesn't use this forum). They are high end coins, not cheap, so I wasn't expecting people fighting at my doorstep for the coins, plus that they are not ancient, so again I wasn't expecting a lot of interested collectors, but seeing a very low number of views wasn't a pleasant surprise.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the feedback...Really appreciated...

Makes me feel a bit better that the prices are fair...

Will put these over on ebay this weekend and see what happens...

Some good advice and will take a selection of photos ob & rev...

Most of these were purchased from vcoins so will state this..

Must admit though I'm surprised the Galerius didn't go with the provenance ticket from Kallai...Maybe I'll tuck this one back into my collection...

Thanks again..

I think that the "problem" is that they are LRB and most collectors are used to getting LRBs at auctions starting 1$. At this level this is really a buyer's market which usually means that there are many to choose from and I have a hunch that most collectors already get them from their favorite regular sellers. The Licinius II is of a very nice style but how many are on the lookout for a nice Licinius II of the common type? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

People might also have been concerned about the location.  There's a couple of really tempting Spanish dealers, but the export permit thing really scares me away.  I'm sure there's probably less hassle for a private sale.

There's some nice coins there; they're not really in my main collecting area, though.  The prices seem reasonable enough.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

People might also have been concerned about the location.  There's a couple of really tempting Spanish dealers, but the export permit thing really scares me away.  I'm sure there's probably less hassle for a private sale.

Good point!...Thanks.

If there is only 2 or 3 coins I just send them as a certified letter at $8 to the US and $6 EU...I've never had a problem...

3 hours ago, Spaniard said:

If there is only 2 or 3 coins I just send them as a certified letter at $8 to the US and $6 EU...I've never had a problem...

As a US citizen, when I buy goods I need to follow the rules at https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases to import them legally.

It is rare for an undeclared coin to be seized.  Some fraction of envelopes are X-rayed.  It might be a good idea to fill out the paperwork.

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2022 at 4:39 PM, Spaniard said:

1739695969_licinius_II(1).jpg.79c41ab69fcecc9b8c68f520f545bd31.jpg

$22

I'm not saying your prices are too high but simply that I am in the hobby for fun and troubles with delivery from Europe made me stop looking at coins not already in my country unless the coin is something really special to me or so different than anything I have that I feel it is worth the hassle.  Meanwhile, I await normal (post-Covid) resumption of coin shows and activity by a new generation of small dealers who sell coins that appeal to me at prices I also find appealing.  There was a time I bought coins because I did not have one like it but now I have enough things like the one below which I'm glad I got in 1995 ($7) but would not buy again at today's rates.  I'm sure that my collection of things that do interest me would be equally unwanted by most collectors at prices that would make me want to sell them.  I do wonder if people who today consider a mid-grade late Roman worth $22 will still be interested in similar coins at 3x the price in another 25 years or will there be a reset in prices when collections of people like me are sent to market by their grandchildren. 

ru4540bb1166.jpg.56ad4937e059c6606150189a41a603df.jpg

Similar questions arise regarding most of the other coins shown.  I actually paid more for the Galeria in 1998 than you are asking now

ru4070bb1589.jpg.a4ddf3ab2a7286db68b31856cfffa907.jpg but the Maxentius was half in 2000.  That is how it works in a hobby with no 'Red Book' to guide prices and differing opinions as to whether a coin is better with less wear or better strike and surfaces.  Your Maxentius is better in most ways but I am not interested in upgrading late Romans. 

ru4200bb2148.jpg.ccd17c46e978eb9afb6806cf8f00caea.jpg

Have you noticed that there seem to be available more Heraclea mint Licinius era coins than average? Was there a hoard in the 1990's or did that mint know how to apply silver better? Again these three came from 25 years ago when I was buying late Roman at shows from dealers now retired.  Is there demand today for these coins in the number that exist?  When I bought them, I was impressed by the silvering but did not realize that there were so many silvered coins of this mint.  In today's condition driven market, these may be worth more than the old prices ($15-$25 each) even if we allow for a reasonable dealer markup but does the condition demand outrank the apathy toward late Romans?  If $48 is a reasonable price for a small dealer to ask for such a coin, what is it reasonable for a collector to expect to be paid by that dealer.  I know dealers that would take my collection on consignment but finding someone willing to pay cash is not so easy and encourages people like me to leave the coins to grandchildren and hope they get interested when they are my age. 

(sorry, I don't have the Crispus)

ru4350bb2083.jpg.438a8b517f5bc12ab3695dc010b60ece.jpgru4490bb1557.jpg.94b808082f9c8655d8dc3aca4934c99e.jpgrv4960b01270lg.jpg.cb96783e7e18fac865f5e1f288478e54.jpgrw5881bb2212.jpg.8fc7217796e173e6db209d32fabf796a.jpg

You asked for input.  This was mine.   

• Like 6

First I'd like to say thanks to everyone who has replied. I appreciate all the input.

Thought I'd just explain why I'm trying to sell these coin...

As I'm a small time collector of around 200 pieces and not a seller. I've recently found my very limited budget really restrictive in the areas that I've become more interested in. I asked myself "What can I do to change this"?...The obvious answer was to try and sell off some of the coins in my collection that now I feel are outside of my main focus areas and use this capital to purchase coins in my focus area...Simple yeh?

Obviously it's a much more complex scenario than I anticipated...

After @dougsmit's input (thanks) it made me look deeper into "why" I bought these coins?...Simply they appealed to me at the time.......But they still appeal to me now!.That's a good sign and has made me rethink about what to do....When I look at the sale advert I don't think of the money but of the coin in my collection!..Uuuum!..Some pondering to do. .

I read through @Ed Snible's link (thanks) and "Wooooh"...If I sell anything in the future it will be only within the EU as I don't really want to get involved in all that paperwork!

@dougsmit..Really found your write up quite enlightening Doug. Very interesting on the price differences over nearly three decades!..Your Galeria is much nicer though!...As to the silvering at the Heraclea mint, I really have no idea but do agree they  made'em to last...

At the end of the day I think I wouldn't make a good seller I just enjoy collecting the coins and the history embroiled within in it.

• Like 5