Indo-Parthian Coins

velarfricative

I don't think we have an Indo-Parthian thread, perfect time to start one. I'll show off the 3 main types you're likely to encounter:

1221315476_MIG1102a.png.7e88e46cf74bbc982163b414bd18eaf3.png

The Bust/Nike type, with a generally well-executed bust on the obverse. This one is an issue of Pakores, fairly common but usually low grade

359087955_Senior229_34T.png.7ccdbf0e1af081169b1a89eb6389958f.png

Coins with the same style as Indo-Scythian coinage; these always feature the "Gondopharid" tamgha, with a horse rider facing right or left, and one of several deities on the reverse. This is an issue of Abdagases, with a slightly debased obverse legend.

742983779_Senior222_1D.png.7119a5e49da6a629c871d21bbef7bc36.png

And Bust/Athena issues, continuing the same style as the Indo-Greeks. This is an issue of Gondophares; many kings issued these coins, but they're generally very poorly struck and barely legible so it's often difficult to attribute them.

There are also silver issues, but they're much more expensive and I haven't gotten one yet. Anyone else have any good Indo-Parthian? Post 'em here.

Edited by velarfricative
  • Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 1

• velarfricative changed the title to Indo-Parthian Coins
  • 10 months later...