Carausius upgrade - and a cheapie for the Coin Cabinet

GregH

Carausius - the first emperor of Britain! I have wanted a decent coin of this secessionist emperor for a long time. Mostly his coins are wretched, barbarous and with blundered legends, like this old thing:

IMG_4934.jpg.886ce0049bfb39501c39571e8e279b56.jpgIMG_4933.jpg.1fd9375b5ba921792fcb8be56f37a2db.jpg

So here's the upgrade. Not perfect, some minor flatness,

carausius.jpg.de7abc930439addf83da9b07dc9c5512.jpg

Still, quite a magnificent piece given how horrible many of his coins are. I'm happy with it!

Fun fact: Carausius was a sea captain - his earlier coins make him look rough and thuggish, and on his later coins he's more clean-cut. I'm imagining a Romano-British Captain Haddock.

Is anyone interested in my wretched old coin? I might pop it in the coin cabinet at a bargain basement price.

• Like 19

Very nice upgrade, @GregH! Well-done! Very high-grade for the type. Mine's not exactly FDC.

Carausius PAX AVG antoninianus.jpg
Carausius, AD 286-293.
Roman billon antoninianus, 2.91 g, 21.2 mm, 3 h.
Uncertain British mint.
Obv: IMP CARAVSIVS P F AVG, radiate (draped and cuirassed?) bust, right.
Rev: PAX AVG, Pax standing left, holding olive branch and cornucopiae.
Refs: RIC --; RCV --.
Notes: Other specimens of this type in: Blackmoor Hoard (20440-1), the British Museum, Ashmolean Museum (Oxford) and Fitzwilliam Museum (Cambridge).

• Like 13

Ae Antoninianus of Carausius Minted at London 286-293 AD Obv Bust right radiate draped and cuirassed Rv Pax standing left holding olive branch and scepter. RIC 101 3.48 grms 23 mm Photo by W. Hansen

carausius1.jpg.c7ac89f1fff7ca91e56d770e26feed9a.jpg

I bought this coin at the NYINC back in January. In many respects this coin is the antithesis of everything I want in a coin these days but I liked it and bought it none the less. Still happy

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1