Pretty sure I have a Galerius Follis here from Heraclea

thenickelguy

I got this given to me recently, it was in worse condition but I think I did an OK job of conserving it some. I can't find the exact coin anywhere but from what I've learned here, I might be on the right track with identifying it.

It is about the size of a US Quarter and bronze.  SEE THIRD POST for attribution.coin.jpg.ceaee09d6b3bb7b1a8f8bc5f7b656fce.jpg

Edited by thenickelguy
Spelling
  • Like 8

• thenickelguy changed the title to Pretty sure I have a Maximinus Follis here from Heraclea
  • thenickelguy changed the title to Pretty sure I have a Galerius Follis here from Heraclea

Ah ha! It is Galerius not Maximinus

Thank you shanxi ! :classic_biggrin: Reading about him now.

Heraclea
RIC VI 37a,A

Galerius AE Follis. AD 308-309.

Obverse IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMIANVS PF AVG, laureate head right Reverse GENIO IMPERATORIS, Genius standing left pouring liquid from patera and holding cornucopaie. Mintmark dot HTA dot.

Edited by thenickelguy

For comparison here is an example of a Maximianus follis struck at the same mint & workshop as your coin that I won at AMCC 3.

2011426518_AMCC3Lot31090_00.jpg.a5d65aa8ed2a7c5621144e63642fd7d2.jpg

Maximianus, 1st Reign (AD 285-305). Billon Follis: Issued 297/8, Heraclea Mint, 10.05 gm, 28 mm, 12 h. Ex Caesar Augustus Collection, acquired from Economopoulos Numismatics.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

For comparison here is an example of a Maximianus follis struck at the same mint & workshop as your coin that I won at AMCC 3.

2011426518_AMCC3Lot31090_00.jpg.a5d65aa8ed2a7c5621144e63642fd7d2.jpg

Maximianus, 1st Reign (AD 285-305). Billon Follis: Issued 297/8, Heraclea Mint, 10.05 gm, 28 mm, 12 h. Ex Caesar Augustus Collection, acquired from Economopoulos Numismatics.

...which you can only tell apart by the legend (well, and the reverse). IMP C GAL VAL MAXIMIANVS PF AVG for Galerius, IMP C MA MAXIMIANVS PF AVG for Maximian. Not that all their coins are so easily distinguished.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

Not that all their coins are so easily distinguished.

True!  I have a web page on distinguishing Maximian, Galerius, and Maximinus II:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/tetrarchy/distinguishing.html

There are many examples of pairs of coins that have very similar legends but belong to different emperors. For example, this is one of the pairs considered:

MaximinusIIGENIOAVGVSTIALE.jpeg.ceac9b84d14f0ccec1b9c150c9184d49.jpegGaleriusGENIOIMPERATORISALE.jpeg.f81c61f94ecf6897055a54b8b44c1691.jpeg

Take a look at that page to see who they are. Again, it is

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

On 9/10/2022 at 12:27 PM, Valentinian said:

True!  I have a web page on distinguishing Maximian, Galerius, and Maximinus II:

As do I.  Posted in 1998, I was dumb enough to believe it might help people learn the tricks of ID but there are still people who have this issue (often for failure to read every letter).  

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/max.html

• Like 2