A classic royal couple ...

ambr0zie

After a delay that was smaller than usual for them, FedEx delivered me the 2 coins I won in the last auction. These were not expensive coins, but I think they are both good additions.

First I want to thank @Roman Collector as I wasn't 100% convinced I want to get the Faustina I coin but he confirmed the coin deserves some attention (main reason was that I thought this will get slightly more expensive) and he also confirmed that the split legend for the Pius coin indicates the coin is issued later than 163 AD.

image.png.23c8c011d3d5c2b3609c30c0757f0e3b.png

Diva Faustina I. Rome. Denarius AR, struck AD 150
18 mm, 3,29 g
DIVA FAVSTINA, bust of Faustina I, draped, right, hair elaborately waved in several loops round head and drawn up and coiled on top / AED DIV FAVSTINAE, hexastyle temple in which is seated a figure of Faustina Senior, outer most columns contain standing figure holding vertical lit torch, Victories as acroteria, peacock in pediment, roof surmounted by quadriga. RIC III Antoninus Pius 343; RSC 1; BMC 339

I have other Diva Faustina coins (probably the most common denarii having the portrait of an empress). But I like, especially, her portraits (very ellegant and well designed, it's clear that the engravers had the task to represent Faustina, not just an emperor with a wig, like it happens for other ladies on coins) and the multitude of reverses.

The main reason for buying this coin was the reverse, as I don't have many coin with architectural reverses.

My other favorite coins of Diva Faustina

image.png.b964d90068c4007eb8863b665428e279.png

image.png.1e4e01e8eefa96c1a5d8a056bb05b7cc.png

The second coin is strongly connected with the Faustina coin, because it is with the portrait of Pius, also after he died.

image.png.5d8f8fae53c4bfd2ec9308885ecb394d.png

Divus Antoninus Pius after AD 161. Rome
Denarius AR. 19 mm, 3,17 g
DIVVS ANTONINVS, bare head right / CONSECRATIO, eagle standing right, head left, on altar decorated with garlands. RIC 431; RSC 155/6; BMC 48

(as discussed with @Roman Collector, this coin was issued later than 163 AD).

Too bad the coin was cleaned a little too much for my tastes, but overall a good addition. I love the reverse and I also find interesting the portrait - it's not "as Pius" as we see him on lifetime coins but I still find this an ellegant and well designed coin.

Both these are, by coincidence, connected to a coin I bought recently, a Pius Sestertius with the Divus Augustus temple.

image.png.cc5782bc002e8b9f2984a86ed05f870f.png

I don't have many of them (with temples) but I find the ones I have interesting.

A beaten and oddly shaped Volusian sestertius having a distyle temple with Juno

image.png.128379f9a44ac0295fd08f789d14ac56.png

And a Probus with hexastyle temple

image.png.a5ca286210b97f71b80e16fd223c9f2a.png

Please post

- coins with temples or architectural elements

- coins with Diva Faustina or Divus Pius

- anything else you find interesting/relevant.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 10

Nice coins, especially your temple Sestertius !! Congratulations.

Diva Faustina or Divus Pius and arcitectural elements (also the "pyre" was a solid stone structure)

normal_Faustina_I_R685_fac.jpg.8dfa902883a6c23f5cd4cbf6fd04094f.jpg

Faustina Senior
Denarius
Obv.: DIVA - FAVSTINA, draped bust right
Rev.: AED DIV FAVSTINAE, front of temple of Diva Faustina with six columns, in the center statue of Faustina.
Ag, 3,28g, 19mm
Ref.: RIC 343 [S], CRE 126 [C]

normal_Antoninus_Pius_5_0.jpg.f943019541062106079042cfabc4644e.jpg

Antoninus Pius (Reg. 138-161 AD)
Posthumous Denarius,161 AD
Obv.: Divus Antoninus Pius / Laureate bust r., drapery on l. shoulder.
Rv: CONSECRATIO, Funeral "pyre"
Ag, 3.30g, 16.6x17.5mm
Ref.: RIC 438 (Aurelius), RSC 164a
Ex Pri stina Hoard

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@ambr0zie....Nice additions..

Great toning and detail on the Faustina temple...

normal_faustina_I__denarius.jpg.ca7043d258e04079c7fcd88daa1c20fa.jpg

Diva Faustina Sr, AR Denarius, Rome Mint, 18mm, 3.08 grams.
DIVA-FAVSTINA, draped bust right
AETER-NITAS, Aeternitas, standing front, facing left, holding globe, veil billowing out around her head and behind her.
RIC 351, RSC 32, BMC 373

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

First I want to thank @Roman Collector as I wasn't 100% convinced I want to get the Faustina I coin but he confirmed the coin deserves some attention (main reason was that I thought this will get slightly more expensive) and he also confirmed that the split legend for the Pius coin indicates the coin is issued later than 163 AD.

You're welcome, and it's true that the all-round legends were used from AD 161-163, but this one dates to AD 150, the 10th anniversary of the empress's death and deification.

• Like 1