Alexander III Tetradrachm ID help, please.

Nerosmyfavorite68

I don't know a whole lot about these and I lack references in this field (although I think I do have a 1970's Sear Greek copy kicking around).

This was a past Christmas or birthday present.  Sorry for the photography, but it is what it is.

It's a worn Fine. Is it lifetime or posthumous?  Can the mint be made out?

The tag says 27mm, 16.39 g and Sear 6721.

1417362199_AlexanderIIIARTetradrachm16.39gSear6721.jpg.58fa19ef4f6a490b147db458f961308d.jpg

My favorites are the enormous flan posthumous issues of 220-ish BC onwards.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
20 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

I didn't want to post the tag. I think dad paid too much for this one.  It's the thought that counts, though.  The local coin shop only has a limited selection and he's not comfortable with buying online.

FWIW, on my last birthday my son asked what I wanted. I mentioned that if he happened to buy any ancient coin at the shop next to his sports card store, that I'd cherish it as one of the centerpieces of my collection. I have a few coins that were gifts and they're special to me, though not particularly rare.

Sadly, he didn't take the hint. I received a package of basketball cards. It's still the thought that counts, even though I don't collect any sports cards.

• Like 1

I did discuss the issues associated with the coinage of Alexander III in my thread "The Lifetime coinage of Alexander the Great" in a somewhat cursory manner. I posted this thread on August 8 of this year. However it is pretty clear that the torch / lambda issue with the image of Zeus with crossed legs are associated with Kassander 315-294 BC This is a massive issue and is frequently encountered. Looking at the coin posted by @Nerosmyfavorite68 I am unable to make out any subsidiary monogram or symbol which is usually found under the throne. This is my example of a tetradrachm from this series.

Ar Tetradrachm of Kassander Amphipolis mint 315-294 BC In the name and types of Alexander III Obv Head of beardless Herakles in lions skin headdress. Rv Zeus Aetophoros seated left.  Price 447   17.05 gms 29 mm Photo by W. Hansen

kassandertd4.jpg.d10178f164bb75ef92b539006474a406.jpg

Price records over thirty varieties of this type. 

• Like 3

Looking on Pella again, I saw that all  Price 443 examples of the "American Numismatic Society" are now called imitations.

see the first 5 coins:

http://numismatics.org/pella/id/price.443

These 5 imitations are very close to your example. Therefore your example might be an imitation.

The two examples (BM and Amsterdam) that are not called imitations are stylistically different/better. These two examples also do not have a symbol under the throne, that seems to exist.

Edited by shanxi