A piece of history

expat

A number of years ago our real estate office sold a de-commissioned nunnery.
It was authorised by Felipe III in 1617 and the construction for the Fransican Order was finally completed in 1646.
After the mid 1800's it went through a series of owners and uses. In the 1990's it was entered into the special and historical interest register. When we sold it there were conditions applicable to the new owner, specifically there must be retained a portion of the exisiting facade and the stone doorway. This she complied with

Convento-Franciscano.jpg.7de6bc3fb43cb4612b6fa0a988f77878.jpg

We were contacted by her lawyer last week informing us of her passing and that he had in his posession a gift for us in thanks for helping her with her dream. The original key to the entrance. She had it blackened and hung in a display case.
It is a foot long and weighs over 3 pounds.

667639240_20220831_203048(2).jpg.530f5f8f13af431f10ac236a8eb6e343.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

3 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

There was no danger of visitors accidentally going home with that in their pocket.

And with the open toed sandal type footwear in those days, I wouldn't want to drop it on my foot either.

We are going to have it mounted in a glass fronted case and hang it on the wall of our office.

• Like 3

@expat....Lovely story and a beautiful looking building....

That key is "big"!..Lovely castleated locking mechanism....I have a small collection of old keys from fincas in this area, small in comparison at around 15cm probably the same around your area too?

Edited by Spaniard
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

@expat....Lovely story and a beautiful looking building....

That key is "big"!..Lovely castleated locking mechanism....I have a small collection of old keys from fincas in this area, small in comparison at around 15cm probably the same around your area too?

Yes, we have a selection of fincas and cortijos on our books, and the keys are often 10-15 cm in the Alpujarra Granadina and a bit smaller in in Alpujarra Almeriense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

Here's a small but very old key.

Roman Casket Key, C2nd-4th AD
image.png.1a8f4587a6846dd5637560a6fab631a4.png
Bronze. Found found West Berkshire, England.

Nice artifact. When I was a growing lad in England, it seemed there was a find or a hoard discovered on a regular basis. More so in England than elsewhere in Europe. I spent 30+ years in Suffolk which had it's share of important discoveries.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, expat said:

Nice artifact. When I was a growing lad in England, it seemed there was a find or a hoard discovered on a regular basis. More so in England than elsewhere in Europe. I spent 30+ years in Suffolk which had it's share of important discoveries.

Suffolk definitely has more than most areas. Although I think Norfolk is better for coins 😉

Where I live there aren't so many, I think because there's a little less agricultural land for the metal detectorists.

• Like 1