Best coin featuring Chiron?

Nick

One of the more plentiful and artistic are these Prousias IIs:

2177110_1631475796.l-removebg-preview.png.d914ba63dead54da26389cdc91c34184.png

Prousias II Kynegos (182-149 BC). Ae. Nikomedeia. Obv: Draped bust of Dionysos right, wearing ivy wreath. Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ΠΡΟYΣIOY. The centaur Chiron standing right, playing lyre; monogram to lower right. RG 26; HGC 7, 629.

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

EDIT: ACS LINKS TO THE AUCTION LISTING W/ PHOTOS AT END;
also, originally labeled the two Elagabalus photos (Nomos 4 / NAC 126) out of order (first Nomos, then NAC )

Is this the Centaur Chiron we're talking about?

22 hours ago, Nick said:

Good one—I like the type but I need the very best example ever made of whichever coin makes the cut. 

There are several wonderful examples from Magnetes that are illustrated in BCD Thessaly (five results in ACSearch).

The spectacular Elagabalus was one of the many that were won by Saoud Al-Thani, who died a couple years later, but which has been sold again recently along with hundreds of his other BCD Thessaly coins (i.e., the Qatari Sheik AKA "man in love with art," who seemingly attempted to buy every lot at Nomos 4, driving some of the prices stratospheric):

image.jpeg.aa0fec981fdff65f76c7d5c6b52ae7f0.jpeg

The Lyre / Kithara (?) below is a really charming detail on that one! I really love that coin. One of the best Roman Provincials of Thessaly I've ever seen, much higher artistry that even the best the Thessalian League had to offer (e.g., BCD Thessaly 1401 = this Claudius, also an Al-Thani purchase from Nomos 4).

I can't decide if I like the NAC photo better. One of these two would be my vote. Here is NAC 126, 125 on ACS (there's also a video in the original auction lot):

image.jpeg.71895fe033560b1928d04b83e1fb9963.jpeg

There's an earlier Magnetes Chiron in BCD Thessaly that's also exceptional (this one struck in the liminal period between the Third Macedonian War and what's usually defined as Roman Provincial Coinage). I don't know the disposition of this one but I don't think it's come up at any of the NAC "man in love with art" sales (yet?).

Unfortunately the obverse didn't fare so well on this one, but a spectacular reverse (on this one I love how Chiron's arm and the branch go behind the legend, which appears quite clearly to be in front of them, though it's unclear if his head is in front of or behind, it's a really interesting play on perspective):

image.jpeg.7ded2299627b8f211626c8d68971c0df.jpeg

LINKS [EDITED, originally labeled the two Elagabalus photos out of order]:

Nomos 4 / BCE Thessaly 1194 (Elagabalus): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=997494
NAC 126 (Al-Thani, 17 Nov 2021), Lot 125 (Elagabalus): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8934044
Nomos 4 / BCD Thessaly 1184 (Magnetes): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=997484

Edited by Curtis JJ
Links at the end
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

39 minutes ago, Curtis JJ said:

EDIT: ACS LINKS TO THE AUCTION LISTING W/ PHOTS AT END

Is this the Centaur Chiron we're talking about?

There are several wonderful examples from Magnetes that are illustrated in BCD Thessaly (five results in ACSearch).

The spectacular Elagabalus was one of the many that were won by Saoud Al-Thani, who died a couple years later, but which has been sold again recently along with hundreds of his other BCD Thessaly coins (i.e., the Qatari Sheik AKA "man in love with art," who seemingly attempted to buy every lot at Nomos 4, driving some of the prices stratospheric) [here is NAC 126, 125 on ACS; there's also a video in the original auction lot]:

image.jpeg.aa0fec981fdff65f76c7d5c6b52ae7f0.jpeg

The Lyre / Kithara (?) below is a really charming detail on that one! I really love that coin. One of the best Roman Provincials of Thessaly I've ever seen, much higher artistry that even the best the Thessalian League had to offer (e.g., BCD Thessaly 1401 = this Claudius, also an Al-Thani purchase from Nomos 4).

I can't decide if I like the NAC photo better. One of these two would be my vote:

image.jpeg.71895fe033560b1928d04b83e1fb9963.jpeg

There's an earlier Magnetes Chiron in BCD Thessaly that's also exceptional (this one struck in the liminal period between the Third Macedonian War and what's usually defined as Roman Provincial Coinage). I don't know the disposition of this one but I don't think it's come up at any of the NAC "man in love with art" sales (yet?).

Unfortunately the obverse didn't fare so well on this one, but a spectacular reverse (on this one I love how Chiron's arm and the branch go behind the legend, which appears quite clearly to be in front of them, though it's unclear if his head is in front of or behind, it's a really interesting play on perspective):

image.jpeg.7ded2299627b8f211626c8d68971c0df.jpeg

LINKS:

NAC 126 (Al-Thani, 17 Nov 2021), Lot 125 (Elagabalus): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=8934044
Nomos 4 / BCE Thessaly 1194 (Elagabalus): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=997494
Nomos 4 / BCD Thessaly 1184 (Magnetes): https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=997484

I think I like the Nomos 4 example best

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nick said:

Here’s the one I mentioned earlier, which someone just shared via Twitter:

Definitely a contender! No surprise it's an Antoninus Pius. With Achilles on there too! That one seems to be easily the best of its type, at least as far as RPC knows (the Staffieri-Wetterstrom example = RPC IV.4 15401.2).

I can't imagine permissions will be an issue for anything you wanted to use, but being ex-CNG, their policy seems to be reproduction with acknowledgment.

Looking through RPC, the two that jump out at me as far and away the best are two that we've discussed here. The Alexandrian one (RPC IV.4 15401) and the Nomos 4 (RPC VI Temp. 31 = BCD Thessaly 1194, Elagabalus from Thessaly, Magnetes).

Can't go wrong with either of those.

(There might be some impressive Classical and Archaic examples out there too, but apparently my mind is set to "Provincials"!)

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 1

• Benefactor

Here's my Prusias II coin. The Elagabalus is probably nicer, but this one is mine and I like it. 🙂 It was my souvenir from a trip to Paris (via CGB). Lots of people bring home little Eiffel Towers, but I brought this coin.

331A3790-Edit.jpg.baa078a3485341c97becb1cce6a33139.jpg

• Like 9

Here is my Prusias II, from London Coins. 🙂

Bithynia Prusias II AE23 Centaur.jpg

Kings of Bithynia, Prusias II (182-149 BC). Æ (23mm, 5.85g, 12h).
Obv: Wreathed head of Dionysos r. 
Rev: Centaur advancing r., playing lyre.

RG26; SNG Copenhagen 635; HGC 7, 629.

Edited by happy_collector
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, happy_collector said:

Here is my Prusias II, from London Coins. 🙂

Bithynia Prusias II AE23 Centaur.jpg

Kings of Bithynia, Prusias II (182-149 BC). Æ (23mm, 5.85g, 12h).
Obv: Wreathed head of Dionysos r. 
Rev: Centaur advancing r., playing lyre.

RG26; SNG Copenhagen 635; HGC 7, 629.

That is a really great example.

• Like 1