Current Top Ten Priciest At VCoins

Kamnaskires

Just for fun (and out of boredom), did an open search this evening – no search terms – using VCoins Advanced Search function (set specifically to Ancient Coins). Set the price range between $100,000 and $1,000,000 for all dates. Got ten results, below. Sharing here for anyone who may be interested.

I’m skipping store names and listings info here. Just pics, low-to-high prices, and bare-bones ID's, below. Feel free to repeat the search at VCoins if you want the details.

$100,000:

VC10.jpg.c9b0955f37364a4a4fca0661e8c686d9.jpg

Huvishka AV dinar

$103,125:

VC9.jpg.127a456ea39503e836a4bd542ff7a3c3.jpg

Vespasian AV aureus

$115,000:

VC8.jpg.07b3489f33adbde23651793b7cf26fb6.jpg

Herod Agrippa, AE unit

$121,875:

VC7.jpg.e3f0d3dcff4cca33ff80f8974f35c50e.jpg

Syracuse decadrachm

$132,531.35 (tie):

935209866_VC5and4_tieb.jpg.07e11d233f53a9b7fd7933c0612aae61.jpg

1276323555_VC5and4_tie.jpg.f103bd5dc7bb816433adf45c5bf50613.jpg

Tie: Kyrene AV stater; Sabina AV aureus

$181,250:

VC3.jpg.3f4f2f888f582108dd47a28090320707.jpg

Gordian III AE medallion

$193,699.66:

VC2.jpg.36151281964f3a26fb235ad0599fcf02.jpg

Syracuse decadrachm

Hold onto your hats...

$375,000:

VC1.jpg.b9696c6a4253b2fddddfe4be1ba2fea4.jpg

Otho AV aureus

• Like 10
  • Gasp 2
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 1

• Benefactor

The Herod Agrippa is really strong, but maybe not nuts. I'm not qualified to comment on the value of the unpublished gold dinar. The others... I made a little bet with myself who was listing these things. I won! At least regarding the two sellers responsible for most of these offers.

I'm of the opinion that almost no price is too strong for genuinely unimprovable wonder coins... but these aren't them.

• Like 5
  • Smile 1

1 hour ago, Ursus said:

The most remarkable thing about the Herod Agrippa is not its price tag, though I find it rather ridiculous, but the fact that Zurqieh is selling a coin without any fake "sand patina." That's new!

But you get real bd!

I'm very happy with my one Zurquieh buy, but I noticed that coin before.  Like they said on Used Cars, "The price is...."  I wouldn't buy that thing for 5 dollars.  Granted, coins from Judea aren't my thing (small and no portrait), but it has some big time issues.

How much should Otho Aureii be?  This price is more commensurate with a Glycerius. To my untrained eyes it looks like good VF with a ding on the cheek.

• Like 3

• Benefactor

Oh boy.  I'm one of the moderators on VCoins, and this is an eye opener.  I cant watch everything (which is why there are numerous moderators).  As far as I know, one can list anything for any price (pure capitalism I guess) but many of these examples bend the realm of acceptance.  Let me check and I will see what can be done about these.

• Like 6
  • Cool Think 1

39 minutes ago, KenDorney said:

Oh boy.  I'm one of the moderators on VCoins, and this is an eye opener.  I cant watch everything (which is why there are numerous moderators).  As far as I know, one can list anything for any price (pure capitalism I guess) but many of these examples bend the realm of acceptance.  Let me check and I will see what can be done about these.

Ah you are the men 😉 

Thank you for using my Brutus as an example in the group mail. 

But you do realise that this was a satirical contribution? You wrote that I really (!) wanted to sell my Brutus for 1.5 million euros? Sorry - not even I would be that crazy. I think most of here have understood - that this was a "joke" with the 1.5 million - and that I only changed the price for the screenshot for 2-3 seconds. Spiced up with the image of the Simpsons. 

The Brutus already cost weeks ago what it costs today. It never cost 1.5 million euros. 

In this sense 😉 

Edited by YOTHR
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1
  • Gasp 1

• Benefactor
8 minutes ago, YOTHR said:

Ah you are the men 😉 

Thank you for using my Brutus as an example in the group mail. 

But you do realise that this was a satirical contribution? You wrote that I really (!) wanted to sell my Brutus for 1.5 million euros? Sorry - not even I would be that crazy. I think most of here have understood - that this was a "joke" with the 1.5 million - and that I only changed the price for the screenshot for 2-3 seconds. Spiced up with the image of the Simpsons. 

The Brutus already cost weeks ago what it costs today. It never cost 1.5 million euros. 

In this sense 😉 

I had no idea the listing was satirical.  Probably just a misunderstanding of the language barrier.  However the topic in general is of great importance and I still await contributions from VCoins admin and members.

11.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor
38 minutes ago, CPK said:

Why is that Herod Agrippa coin so expensive? Is it really that rare? 

It is really that rare; maybe the 5th known, at least one of which is in a museum. I'll be shocked if it sells at that price, but I really can imagine a high-end collector of Jewish coins who has absolutely everything else (including a menorah) paying at least a substantial fraction of the asking price. I suspect the listed price is simply the opening round in a future negotiation. $30,000 might seem like a bargain, when it's been reduced from upwards of 100K.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, KenDorney said:

I had no idea the listing was satirical.  Probably just a misunderstanding of the language barrier.  However the topic in general is of great importance and I still await contributions from VCoins admin and members.

Ok. I thought the picture of the Simpsons family would explain this - that it was satire.

But ok - if it's a serious topic - then I don't want to ridicule this. This was of course not my intention. Say - if there are really "problems" here - I understand your seriousness about the subject!

I probably galloped in the wrong direction then. I didn't mean anything bad - but then I wanted to make a funny comment - unfortunately at an inappropriate moment.

My contribution was meant satirically - to clarify - but it was not meant to ridicule the topic. And it's good that you're keeping an eye on it as a moderator - it's in all our interests!

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Phil Davis said:

It is really that rare; maybe the 5th known, at least one of which is in a museum. I'll be shocked if it sells at that price, but I really can imagine a high-end collector of Jewish coins who has absolutely everything else (including a menorah) paying at least a substantial fraction of the asking price. I suspect the listed price is simply the opening round in a future negotiation. $30,000 might seem like a bargain, when it's been reduced from upwards of 100K.

What do you think is the element that pushes the price up? There are lots of ancients that are very rare with only a few known, but sometimes the price stays below $100 and sometimes it hits $100,000. Herod Agrippa I bronze units are obviously common. The mint isn't rare. Are there a lot of people after every variation, or are they just hoping the one there is will be fabulously rich?

• Like 2
  • Cool Think 1