Weird Romans ... Unusual Portraits

Constantivs

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

Speaking of weird portraits, does this Hadrian portrait on a sestertius in an upcoming auction (see https://www.numisbids.com/n.php?p=lot&sid=5951&lot=91 ) just have an oddly shaped head, and an oddly shaped beard (if there's one at all), or do people think it's been tooled?

image00091.jpg?1659697587

I think the odd-looking portrait is a result of Hadrian's beard having been mostly worn off to the point that you can't tell the difference between "worn beard" and "cheek skin."  His apparently jowly chin would normally be textured beard too, but it has been worn smooth and the subsequent smoothing makes it appear to be skin rather than beard.  This is a case where less obverse smoothing might have resulted in a more natural-looking portrait.  In my example it's clear on the obverse where the beard ends and cheek/neck begins:

image.jpeg.cd0b1797c864c91e04d9454c60107a66.jpeg

The reverse is indeed extremely well defined but I don't see any really sharp lines and delineations that would make me think "obvious tooling."  A more expert examination and opinion would be the next step.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
1 minute ago, idesofmarch01 said:

I think the odd-looking portrait is a result of Hadrian's beard having been mostly worn off to the point that you can't tell the difference between "worn beard" and "cheek skin."  His apparently jowly chin would normally be textured beard too, but it has been worn smooth and the subsequent smoothing makes it appear to be skin rather than beard.  This is a case where less obverse smoothing might have resulted in a more natural-looking p of his head! It's shape.  In my example it's clear on the obverse where the beard ends and cheek/neck begins:

image.jpeg.cd0b1797c864c91e04d9454c60107a66.jpeg

The reverse is indeed extremely well defined but I don't see any really sharp lines and delineations that would make me think "obvious tooling."  A more expert examination and opinion would be the next step.

But look at the top of his head! It's shaped very differently from yours.

• Yes 1

18 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

But look at the top of his head! It's shaped very differently from yours.

I think that might be more due to the fact that the obverse is slightly rotated clockwise; here's a side-by-side comparison with the "weird" portrait rotated into a more normal orientation:

image.jpeg.580601111fe1d2834c57e45136c3c07a.jpeg

Other than the right image's laurel wreath jutting above Hadrian's hairline, they look relatively similar to me.

• Like 1