c219-20g.jpg.0312e9b677d919dcf14b3c4f7376a9fe.jpg

Sui-Dynasty  隋朝 (581-617)

c680g.jpg.d3a5fd909ebcabdc91501879e94ae376.jpg

Southern  Han, 南汉 Wu Wu AD 905-971

c230g.jpg.11ee5728231a7a2071b6787d5d508274.jpg

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, NathanB said:

Moderation, please. Otherwise, this site might as well change its name to CT.

I can assure you, that will never happen 🙂 

Thread has been cleaned up where needed. Much appreciation to everyone for keeping the thread as on-track as possible and for self-moderating, as well as looping me in. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, Curtis JJ said:

Joh, I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating your enthusiasm for and expertise about New Styles. But I'm also sure I'm not alone in thinking you're at your least best when you start drifting back into hostility for everything non-New Style. If you mean it as satire, which seems likely, you're spinning off in the direction of insult, as I've seen others point out before. (Especially reviving your campaign against the "Seltons." I'm sure you mean the Saltons and that you know how to spell their name correctly, as you've done in many previous complaints. You should probably be aware there are people here who were friends with or knew them personally, though I'm not one of them.)

I personally am not as interested in RIC as some are, but I respect their interest. I fail to see why it is inherently more valuable to know which New Style symbols were issued in which month and under which sequence of magistrates with partial names, than to know the sequence and location of all the Roman Imperial Coinage. At least the RIC is dealing with sweeping changes throughout all of Western history (and the world). I do appreciate your academia page on New Style coins (I have it bookmarked and have looked at many of the documents) and don't want you to stop, but I cannot imagine why, for example, ConstantineTheGreatCoins.com is somehow inherently less of a contribution? I'm sure many would argue the opposite. 

Returning to the Saltons. They've done a tremendous amount for the field. It wasn't necessarily in the area of New Styles (though it wouldn't surprise me). Mark Salton is responsible for many important publications (a couple dozen articles/books can be easily found in the ANS library catalog as well as texts about the Saltons and their collections). They also donated several important collections to institutions, which have been the subject of considerable amounts of published research. (See also Ursula Kampmann's recent book: The Origins of the German Coin Trade: The Hamburger and Schlessinger Families on Issuu.)

Your upset about them seems related to your larger complaint about provenance (first on CT, then FAC, maybe elsewhere, now here). But, even if it's not something that personally interests you, you should recognize that the previous owners of and authors about the coins -- the history of their publications and collection and exhibitions, etc. -- that literally is the history of numismatic knowledge.

Just as we need "social studies of technology," "history of medicine," and "sociology of science" in order to understand technology, medicine, and science -- to contextualize and judge what we know now, to make policy about the future, to know where our biases are -- it's worth being aware of the intellectual history of numismatics.

And we need people to have a broad range of interests and specialties. That's how every domain of human knowledge works -- science, humanities, technology, law, medicine...

Please don't think I want you to stop being so enthusiastic about New Style coinage or that I don't appreciate the expertise you have to contribute. My only objection is to your open antagonism toward everyone who has a slightly different interest.

EDITED to say: It's also fine that may people collect just for fun. That's nothing to berate them (or "stamp collecting") for.

Yes I do mean it as satire!  It highlights my love for the NewStyle  and the "fact" that nobody else does!  And indeed the related stephanophores, a great transformative occurrence that  Meadows commented on  but was seemingly ignored!  Also Giovannini then deCallatay and Meadows  think the NewStyle as a kind of Roman Provincial coinage...a proxy coinage...........maybe Myrina, Kyme and Athens, (etc  Tenedos, Mytilene Heraclea ad lamon, Smyrna, Magnesia.......) do have things in common......the will of the Roman Senate was everything. So what about the artists of Dionysos coinage  and other apparent oddities, the Kybera Syros coinage..... ooh now that's interesting  and mysterious!

• Like 1