20+ Basilikons for 40£ each just listed on vcoins

TheTrachyEnjoyer

https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/opisthodomos-295/ancient-coins/byzantine-38209.aspx?#!/category/byzantine/?idCategory=38209&searchDisplayAsList=False&searchMaxRecords=100&store_order_by=dateadded_desc&countitems=97&changeDisplayList=&page=1

This store has just listed a ton of basilikons for 40£ each. Im not sure if sharing deals is allowed. If not, Mods feel free to take this down

47A10982-3B04-4DB9-9D59-FA4BA375D902.jpeg.cbcc918f4ebb878b3725e011de223f33.jpeg0056EC90-4644-4355-9FFA-343C2A79C739.jpeg.d847f66b7b1f00fb607023c3ac303d28.jpeg

I just got these for a combined $110. not bad!

• Like 12
  • Smile 1

C229A5CA-8F51-4EB1-B812-08F0AA394A93.jpeg.b0e44b8665482c5e760c44142eec9d55.jpeg

17288680-5E20-4BD1-8AA3-97C6151BFAA7.jpeg.f8d041db15450a54dd85e51924e4d60d.jpeg

My current two basilikons of Andronikos II and Michael IX, named and anonymous 

Andronicus II Palaeologus, with Michael IX AD 1304-1320. Constantinople, Basilikon AR Obverse: KVPIE BOHΘEI; IC XC / Christ Pantokrator enthroned facing, right hand in benediction Reverse: AVTOKPATO-PEC PWMAIWN / Andronicus and Michael standing facing, holding labarum between them. DOC 513, SB 2402.  

Andronicus II Palaeologus, with Michael IX, 1282-1328. Basilikon, Constantinople, 1304-1320. KVPIE BOHΘEI Christ, nimbate, seated facing on backless throne, raising his right hand in benediction and holding book of Gospels in his left. Rev. MIXAHΛ ΔЄCΠ ΑNΔPNIKOC  

With Italian (and specifically Venetian) silver starting to take hold across the Mediterranean as the universal currency, Byzantium had to answer. The Basilikon (βασιλικόν) translates to Imperial Coin (Basileus being the term for King/Emperor). This denomination stands out with comparative Byzantine coinage in terms of both purity and abundance. It was first minted by Emperor Andronikos II to pay for the Catalan Company mercenaries hired to fight the Seljuk Turks. The rate of value was 12-15 basilikons to AV Hyperpyron.

Edited by TheTrachyEnjoyer
  • Like 8

Thanks for the notification!  I've never purchased from this dealer before.  That's quite a tempting deal.  More tempting were the AE's.  Other than some being obviously misattributed 'Maurice Antioch' 20 nummi being Phocas Constantinople and at least one 'Heraclius' being a Constans II, the coins themselves are generally attractive and modestly priced.

Too bad the Constantine Ducas has a big finder's gash on the face.  I don't have any of that ruler.  That woudl be a nice one, other than that.

• Like 3

Opisthodomos is run by two persons. One of them disappeard completely a few months ago and the other one does either not care about handling invoices and shipping coins or is not capable to. Not sure if the guy who did the work is back as new items have been listed, but I wouldn't bet any money that you actually will see any of the coins you buy from them.

Edited by SimonW
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, SimonW said:

Opisthodomos is run by two persons. One of them disappeard completely a few months ago and the other one does either not care about handling invoices and shipping coins or is not capable to. Not sure if the guy who did the work is back as new items have been listed, but I wouldn't bet any money that you actually will see any of the coins you buy from them.

We will find out! Paypal for the win either way😂

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, SimonW said:

Yikes!  I remember looking at them previously, but I was scared off by the obviously misattributed stuff.  There were fairly many at the time. 

Ok, I'm scared away for now :classic_ohmy:.  I'm stressed out enough by trying to renew my driver's license online.  Their defective website has me stuck in the 'verify' stage.  All very useless, as any self-respecting scammer would already have that information.  I'm just going to get better glasses and do the stupid thing in person.

Let us know how it goes, TrachyEnjoyer.

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68
  • Like 2

There seems to be a massive hoard(s) of these coins as the prices have come down substantially since I purchased mine.  Several vendors have been selling them in various conditions as well as graded vs. non-graded.  When I got mine, I cherry-picked from the offering and picked up a few which are different. Notice the small dot vs large dot below Christ's elbow, the mustache vs no-mustache Michael IX, and the reverse legend differences. The higher grades were worth it...

Byzantine Empire: Andronicus II Palaeologus and Michael IX (1295-1320) AR Basilikon, Constantinople (Sear 2402; DOC V.534; LPC 88.35; PCPC 167)

Obv: KVPIЄ-BOHΘЄI; Christ enthroned facing on backless throne, wearing nimbus cruciger, pallium and colobium, right hand raised in benediction, book of Gospels in left; IC-XC across fields; large dot below each elbow of Christ
Rev: AVTOKPATO-PЄC POMAIШN; Andronicus II bearded and Michael IX with mustache, each standing facing, wearing crown, saccos and loros, both holding labarum between them with circle on shaft below banner

normal_Sear-2402(4).jpeg

Byzantine Empire: Andronicus II Palaeologus and Michael IX (1295-1320) AR Basilikon, Constantinople (Sear 2402; DOV V.523; LPC 88.35; PCPC 167; Lianta 767)

Obv: KVPIЄ-BOHΘЄI; Christ enthroned facing on backless throne, wearing nimbus cruciger, pallium and colobium, right hand raised in benediction, book of Gospels in left; IC-XC across fields; small dot below each elbow of Christ
Rev: AVTKPATO-PЄC POMAION; Andronicus II and Michael IX, each standing facing, wearing crown, saccos and loros, both holding labarum between them with circle on shaft below banner

normal_Sear-2402(2).jpeg

Edited by quant.geek
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

Wow, I got a notification today that the order had shipped.  I ordered it around the day of my last post (mind blown emoji).

It took them 17 days to ship? Did you order from Opisthodomos? Did they give you a tracking number? If so, does the tracking number say, that they shipped today?

Yes, according to the email. Yes, there's a tracking number.

I didn't expect it to be super-fast, although that's pretty slow.  I went in with low expectations.  If I get the coins, then cool. I'll get a nice seal and some other goodies.  I certainly can't kick about the prices.

I expected a month, and that appears to be what I'll get.  It takes about two weeks from order to door for London Ancient Coins, with most of the travel time being the mail (the DHL option is fast).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2022 at 10:17 AM, Severus Alexander said:

Since it worked out for @TheTrachyEnjoyer, I pulled the trigger on a misidentified AE when the price was reduced last night. We shall see!

Reporting back: I received the coin, and I have nothing to complain about.  Here it is:

image.jpeg.f727b3944229c0ee0934d62a45cd0603.jpeg

It's a Constantinople follis of Leo III with Constantine V, SB 1514.  Not that easy to find in decent shape.  (It was misidentified as Constantine V with Leo IV.)  DOC divides these into three categories; this one appears to be DOC 30 based on the elaborate crossbar on the reverse (looking like a balcony), although the small size and weight is more like DOC 31 at only 17.5mm and 3.31g. (Like a small denarius! I was surprised when I opened the package at how small the coin seemed. This also means the detail is actually quite good.)  The DOC speaks of ill-defined weight reductions in the series, so I'm thinking this coin would fit best at the cusp between DOC 30 and 31, so dating to about 725... assuming the validity of the three-fold distinction in the first place, that is.

My cost was 65 GBP plus 10 GBP for shipping... quite reasonable for this coin.  Hopefully the issues that @SimonW alerted us to have been addressed!

• Like 5

I think it's finally here.  I received a signature slip, and I have ordered nothing else.  Funny how that works; the ones you don't want a signature require it, and vice versa. It comes on the worst possible day, so it'll be the middle of next week until I get it.  I'm not going to the post office for it.

I know to cross this place off the list...

I think Deutsche Post is still the slowest, at a month, Biga's not too far behind (it may or may not have been Netherland Post's fault).  If not for taking 17 days to ship, this probably would have arrived in the same time period London Ancient Coins takes (with the post taking up most of the time).

Biga has some interesting stuff, but it took forever and a day, so I never got around to ordering from them again.

• Like 1

Hooray, I forgot to go out to the mailbox to put the slip in and the mailman's gone past while I'm fumbling to find a pen. So annoying that they don't bring the dang thing along.  Who wants to go to the Post Office?  Sign me up to wait in line! Going there is something I avoid at all costs.

The signature was the final aggravation. It wouldn't have been so bad except it came Friday, the one day I don't want it to come.  This place does have some deals, if you're willing to put up with a lot of misattributions and aggravations.  It was slow enough where this order was two or three order cycles ago.

If the coins are like the pictures, then the merchandise itself will probably be okay.

Perhaps the folks at the firm with the unpronounceable name were on holiday and that's why it took 17 days to ship out, I don't know.  Extremely slow shipping or some other egregious factor creates bad publicity, such as my bank's brilliant two factor authentification (it was the way they implemented it).  I told everybody and their brother about that, and even got to tell the folks who wrote the app, in Simon Cowell terms, exactly what I thought of the changes when they showed up at a booth.  The O folks don't make me want to put a fist through the monitor, so they're doing better.  I'm just moderately irritated with my order.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting. I had an order from this company around the same time, got mine several weeks later - I'm in the UK so no excuse - but I did get them and was pleased and relieved to do so!  However I notice today the entire company has disappeared from vcoins... 

• Like 1