Roman Victory: A sign of strength (or lack thereof)

image.jpeg.2e4734a3d4bfd7df0532d7a43283139f.jpeg

Anonymous Moneyer
Victoriatus of the Roman Republic Period 211/210 BC
Material: Silver
Diameter: 16.20mm
Weight: 3.06g
Mint: Apulia
Reference: Crawford RRC 102/1
Obverse: Laureate head of Jupiter, right. Border of dots.
Reverse: Victory, right, crowning trophy. Line border. Controlmark Q. The Inscription reads: ROMA.

I received this cute little Victoriatus of the Roman Republic from the USA this morning. I can't get enough of the back. How did these artists manage to create such small works of art with such details back then? If you like, I have made a little video about it:

• Like 9

On 8/26/2022 at 12:29 PM, GordianAppreciator101 said:

I wasn't thinking about getting one while I wrote this but... I ended up getting a new Victoria [...]
Aurelian | 270-275 | Denarius | Billon | Rome | IMP AVRELIANVS AVG | VICTORIA AVG (RIC V 73)
Some rough surfaces but definitely a great addition to my collection.

Great new (last week!) Victory over Eastern Captive Aurelian denarius! I love that type. This is my most recently added example, and an upgrade over my previous ones:

image.jpeg.c5ed332852f14bf41579171f2ac913eb.jpeg
Roman Imperial. Aurelian (Augustus, 270-275 CE) AE or Billon Denarius (19mm, 1.94g, 12h, struck in Rome, c. 275.
Obv: IMP AVRELIANVS AVG. Laureate, cuirassed bust right.
Rev: VICTORIA AVG. Victory advancing left, holding wreath above bound Eastern captive.
Ref: RIC 73.
Prov: Solidus Auktion 70 (24 Nov 2020), 261.

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 5

On 7/29/2022 at 6:38 AM, GordianAppreciator101 said:

the type of Victory as it's maintained since the very beginning of the Empire to the last "Latin" Byzantine coins, giving us collectors many centuries to choose from when looking for a Victory. 

The transformation of Victory (one of Rome's most important and enduring Imperial symbols) during the early "Byzantine" period is also fascinating.

We're probably all familiar with Victory's start as Nike in the Greek world:

CONSERVATORI-Alexander_III_Stater.png.b8692cf6ca2cb2b2ea34aea64a1f8eaa.png

• Greek (Hellenistic). Kings of Macedon, Alexander III "The Great" (336-323 BCE) AV Stater (19mm, 8.48g, ~12h). Uncertain mint (Salamis?), struck c. 325-310 BCE.
    Obv: Head of Athena right wearing Corinthian helmet with crest.
    Rev: ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ / ΗΔΟ. Nike standing l. holding wreath in r. hand, stylis in l. Eagle below l., monogram r.
    Ref: Price 797 (Uncertain Greek/Macedon); Müller 184 (Aphytis).
    Prov: Ex-Morton & Eden Auction 104, Lot 44 (London at Sotheby's, 14 Nov 2019)
    Notes: Is Victory pregnant? Video (1m 10s) about coin & imagery, incl. Nike -> Victory -> Angel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvs_GNe2LzE

Less well known: Victory became an Angel. (Specifically, a male angel, though Grierson describes it as an “angel of indeterminate sex” [1999: 33].)

Starting with Justin I, Victory's image was replaced on the gold Solidus. During Justinian's reign, she was almost completely removed (from the Solidus). Almost.

VICTORIA didn't disappear entirely:

1. She remained on the Tremissis & Semissis for much longer; until at least the end of the 6th century and Justinian's dynasty (w/ Maurice Tiberius, e.g., SB 486; if anyone knows of later Victory appearances, please let me know).

1835444599_CONSERVATORI-JustinianIAVTremissis.png.fa5686df2e0ca5fefc3f39b5e3d89003.png

• Justinian AV Tremissis (17mm, 1.45 g, 6h). Constantinople, c. 527-565 CE.
    Obv: D N IVSTINIANVS PP AV. Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM. Victory advancing right, head left, holding wreath and globus cruciger; star to right; CONOB.
    Ref: DOC 19; Sear Byz 145.
    Prov: Ex Jack A. Frazer Collection (CNG EA 455 [30 Oct 2019], 394), acquired from Harlan J. Berk Buy-Bid Sale #27 (13 Sep 1983), Lot 8.

2. Her legend - VICTORIA - remained. One interesting thing about late / Eastern Roman (i.e., Christian Rome) and "Byzantine" artistic traditions: They largely scrubbed pagan deities like Victory by the mid- to late-6th centuries, but they kept using "personifications" of cities, like Constantinopolis and Roma. (Sometimes described as "Victory as Roma" or "Victory as Constantinopolis.")

Even after Victory was replaced with an Angel on the AV Solidi of Justin I, Justinian, and Justin II, the latter continued producing Solidi depicting Constantinopolis with the legend VICTORIA AVG (and vars.):

image.png.be9967fcfe03e5cd6071e5ebaeb6b387.png

• "The Last Constantinopolis."
     Byzantine / E. Roman Empire. Justin II AV Solidus (21mm, 4.47g, 6h), Constantinople, c. 567-578.
    Obv: D N IVSTINVS P P AVI. Diademed, helmeted and cuirassed bust of Justin facing, holding Victory on globe in right hand & shield with horseman motif over his left shoulder.
    Rev: VICTORIA AVCCCH / CONOB. Constantinopolis seated facing, head turned to right, holding spear in right hand & globus cruciger in left.
    Ref: SB 345; DOC 4g; MIBE 5.
    Prov: Ex-Agora Auctions Auction 36 (Online [NYC], 14 Jul 2015), Lot 240; Ex-Spartan Numismatics.
  • This Justin II AV Solidus is the last type to show Constantinopolis. Grierson (1999: 32) writes: “When Constantinopolis appeared for the last time, on Solidi of Justin II, she was already so unfamiliar that some users thought her to represent the goddess Venus.”

3. She had a few minor appearances on Solidi post-Justinian I, but only in a much reduced, subordinate role, standing on the globe in the hand of the Emperor on his obv. portraits. E.g., on  Justin II's mourning beard Solidus, SB 344 :
(NOT MY COIN: CNG 473, 385)
7208957.m.jpg

Edited by Curtis JJ
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1