DonnaML

Some lovely coins in this thread. I picked up these 3 from the Kelly collection

image.png.4fb9101368e73892ecbc9007ce083251.png

RIC 1497  (RSC 137)

image.png.bd20da64bdbe1adcdca2039991f04002.png

RSC 867; RIC 1541

and my favorite with fine details

image.png.94fb50faf461c6e30d5950b1a296e56c.png

I have found it more difficult to find bronzes in this series that I both like and can afford, but do have one

image.png.062567b17e1da852c04d6d8b60ad0696.png

Rome mint. Obv: HADRIANVS AVG COS III P P legend with laureate and draped bust right. Rev: RESTITVTOR ACHAIAE legend with Hadrian standing left, raising kneeling Achaea right with prize-urn containing palm branch between; SC in exergue. 30.17 grams

RIC 1803;  

• Like 17
  • Heart Eyes 2

I have been working on a set of the travel coins.  As far as I know, there are 28 locations that are depicted on Hadrian's imperial coins, that make up the "travel series".  This includes the province type, adventus type, restitutor type, and exercitus type.  The majority are in bronze, with some in gold and silver.

Here are examples from my collection (apologies for the many pics and poor condition on some of the less common ones):

hadrian-achaea-1a-ii.jpg.87cd2068a9b7cb37c89d978e4f83c5a7.jpg

Restitutor Achaea

hadrian-aegyptos-1c-i.jpg.a88e344a9d04ff546aa89e5f72850001.jpg

Aegyptos

hadrian-africa-1-i.jpg.f4ebb83faa9dfa95a4c9e42c0ef993b8.jpg

Africa

hadrian-alexandria-1a-i.jpg.db19e665d31128b712c277ad19c0f259.jpg

Alexandria

hadrian-arabia-1-ii.jpg.8df055dd89e80ac0d9ab68d676e7a209.jpg

Restitutor Arabia

hadrian-asia-1a.jpg.8cdbb121c4b52f40d7b095fae3ef40a4.jpg

Asia

hadrian-bithynia-2-ii.jpg.d23234d13a10dc7487839361a562531f.jpg

Restitutor Bithynia

hadrian-britannia-2-ii.jpg.e5b7d23ea3a83202d553a693638f7976.jpg

Britannia

hadrian-cappadocia-1a-ii.jpg.3fc34789d6789757d819c892b1b809b1.jpg

Cappadocia

hadrian-dacia-1b-ii.jpg.7a99813173f8a62db8ac013c0f8bdc54.jpg

Dacia

hadrian-gallia-1b-i.jpg.16e564ce6fcc1543683f69da5abfe59d.jpg

Restitutor Gallia

hadrian-germania-1b-i.jpg.40342547b197ce85f6b4b4f1ea28a603.jpg

Germania

hadrian-hispania-1b-i.jpg.b695d571e83bbe096e3d83daabfafe3d.jpg

Hispania

hadrian-italia-1b-i.jpg.60200b0debef8781de43e3d39b5fc330.jpg

Italia

hadrian-judaea-1b-ii.jpg.029dd1f77458547cd6304c2be474130b.jpg

Adventus Judaea

hadrian-macedonia-1-ii.jpg.4a67459ba7ce8ecb7168811d03f84f3c.jpg

Adventus Macedonia

hadrian-mauretania-1-ii.jpg.d34d32c74ccb281a6f71b9c944196590.jpg

Mauretania

hadrian-moesia-1b-ii.jpg.397fb30e47e0fa20116cb680081c96b9.jpg

Adventus Moesia

hadrian-nilus-1b-i.jpg.416b992d390bdb19e433a395f0eaf289.jpg

Nilus

hadrian-phrygia-1b-ii.jpg.e3ee9e17edd2d0bf413f55edf0a5ca3a.jpg

Adventus Phrygia

hadrian-raetia-1a-ii.jpg.e785f2e2e877ef3b130fb1d9b0d588d7.jpg

Exercitus Raetia

hadrian-sicilia-1b-ii.jpg.5d42fe22ba067c702dcd2ec3191d6490.jpg

Adventus Sicilia

I am missing 6 locations- Cilicia, Dalmatia, Nicomedia, Noricum, Syria, and Thrace

There is another location- Pannonia- which is only found on Aelius Caesar's coins.  There are also the "Adventus Augustus" which show Hadrian with Roma and is clearly meant for Rome, and one that has no legend but has Tyche and Orontes on the reverse, clearly meant for Antioch (often seen on provincials, but this particular coin is an Imperial).  These are "optional" additions, one could say.

For many years it was thought that there was a type of Libya, but recent research has determined it was an altered or misinterpreted specimen.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 5

• Benefactor

@Charles H and @Nap, thanks so much for posting all of these! I hoped when I started this thread that there would be people out there with large Travel Series collections who would see the thread and post theirs, and you (and others) have really come through. Amazing. @Nap, I would disagree with you only to the extent that I believe that the Adventus coin showing Hadrian with Roma upon his return to Rome from his travels (my example is posted in the OP) is definitely part of the series. It's non-optional!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

@DonnaML

Caruso (1873-1921), Enrico. 

The Neapolitan operatic tenor Enrico Caruso sang in Milan and in London, but was especially known in New York as the leading male singer at the Metropolitan Opera for 17 years. One of the world’s greatest artists, according to Arturo Toscanini, he was also a pioneer of recorded music – the first artist to sell a million gramophone records with an aria from Pagliacci in 1902. 

Caruso bought coins voraciously, both from dealers and from auctions (such as Montagu’s and Gnecchi’s), but it remained a private passion – not displayed, that was little known during his lifetime. With over 250 recordings, in addition to his live performances, Caruso earned a fortune which allowed him to collect whatever he liked: according to Ambrogio Canessa, Caruso’s reply when asked what he was looking for, was « the rarest and most beautiful ». His love for coin had started when the baritone Antonio Scotti had brought him to meet Amedeo Canessa: “it was Mr. Canessa who started Caruso off on the long and happy adventure of coin collecting. One day he showed Caruso a tiny gold coin engraved with the head of Queen Arsinoe II. ‘That little thing costs five hundred francs’ said Mr. Canessa. Caruso examined it carefully, turning it over and over in his hand. ‘It is beautiful’ he said. ‘I like it. But what is the use of only one coin? I don’t want one coin’. ‘There is only this one’, Mr. Canessaexplained, it is a very rare specimen’. ‘Very well, then’, said Caruso, ‘it is mine’. And that was how the collection began which grew to more than 2000 coins from all over the world and from every century beginning with the fifth century BC. After that, Caruso began haunting old shops and street barrows, he spent many hours at auctions and in the great museums of the world, always studying, always finding out more about his coins and other objects d’art. The historical significance of each treasure charmed the tenor. He learned through these beautiful objects what most people learn through books”.

According to a F. Canessa, a descendant of the dealers, a selection of coins from the collections of king Vittorio Emanuele III and of Enrico Caruso were exhibited at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, which took place in 1915 in San Francisco. A catalogue would be precious, to document a terminus ante quem of the acquisition of some of Caruso’s coins. Alas, although there is a 59-page leaflet entitled Catalogue Canessa’s collection, it contains no coins, and I wasn’t able to find the confirmation of this numismatic exhibition and of its content. Itcould be that these were the non-ancient coins that were to be sold amongst other antiquities and works-of-art in New York in February-March 1923.

In a will written in 1913, Caruso had decided to leave his gold coins to the Naples museum, but he changed his mind and in 1919 he removed this clause from his will. Amedeo Canessa was later charged by the government to act as tutor to Gloria Caruso for the division of the inheritance (which totaled 32 million Lire / 1,280,000 Dollars), and his coin collection was sold in Naples 28 June 3 July 1923 in 1,471 lots (of which 3 were missing and 20 went to the Naples museum), for a total of 880,000 Lire. The auction remains so important that the catalogue was reprinted in 1970. 

A contemporary witness reported: “5 août1921. Le ténor Caruso est mort. On n’a pas connu de mémoire d’homme une si belle voix. Ses cachets étaient fabuleux. Le phonographe seul lui rapportait cent cinquante mille dollars par an. C’était un gros italien paysan du Danube. Il faisait des gestes d’un comique de bas tréteau. Quand il voulait être tragique, c’était à rire, et quand il voulait être comique, c’était à pleurer”. He then added some years later: “Février 1928. La vente Caruso. Le superbe ténor avait épousé une Américaine qui était folle de lui. Elle avait de l’argent, et il lui en a laissé en quantité. Cette civilisée vend toutes les collections, tous les costumes de théâtre. Toute la défroque est à l’encan, les souvenirs, la trousse de théâtre et celle du voyage de noces”. 

He also owned an interesting collection of banknotes.

• Like 9

@DonnaML

What are the arguments that make you think that the ADVENTVS AVGVSTI and FORTVNAE REDVCI types showing Roma greeting Hadrian are part of that emperor's travel series?

I would tend to exclude them, since they don't show any of the standard reverse legends of that series:

ADVENTVI,

RESTITVTORI,

EXERCITVS or COH PRAETOR,

or finally the name of a province or of an important provincial city or river (ALEXANDRIA, NILVS).

Edited by curtislclay

• Benefactor

@curtislclay, it's not really a question of "arguments." After all, the concept of Hadrian's "Travel Series" as a unitary category with a defined membership is a modern construct to begin with. It's not as if back in Hadrian's reign one could go to the local money changer and pick up an official checklist, like the ones Topps used to issue with its baseball cards!  So the line between the coins that are and aren't part of the "series" is somewhat arbitrary.  As much for the "ADVENTVS" coins representing Hadrian's return to Rome, as it is for the FELICTATI AVGVSTI coins that some include in the "Travel Series" because they show a galley and imply that it's the Emperor's. Or even for the "LIBERALITAS" coins depiciting Hadrian's liberalities, many of which, as the new RIC II.2 points out (see pp. 40-41 and the table at p. 41), were tied to Hadrian's returns from his various expeditions, up to his final Adventus of AD 133 -- just as they were for Trajan (id. p. 41, citing Woytek).

So it doesn't really matter to me whether one considers the ADVENTVS coins an actual part of the Travel Series (and I'm certainly not the first person to think of them that way), or a coda or postscript to that Series. There's no question that they're thematically related.  Is Hadrian's return to Rome at the end of his travels not part of those travels itself, by definition? See RIC II.3 at p. 43, stating that the issuance of what the authors call the "provinces types" (id.) or "Provinces cycle" (id. p. 181)  -- rather than the "Travel Series," a term not used -- "is seemingly sparked off by Hadrian's arrival in 130 in the last unvisited corner of the empire, Egypt, and finishes around the time of the final Adventus to Rome in 133." (Emphasis added.)

Furthermore, as far I've been able to discern, the difference between "ADVENTVS" and "ADVENTVI" is more one of grammar than of substance. See RIC II.3 at p. 43 ("Adventus types are conveyed by the Emperor greeting the [provincial personifications] with legend ADVENTVI AVG plus the name of province.") See also RIC II.3 at p. 207, in the introduction to "Group 11," which includes "Adventus to Rome of 133"  (following Group 10, beginning at p. 181, constituting the "Provinces cycle"), noting various die-links between Groups 10 and 11, described as an "Overlap from Provinces group," including die-links between, e.g., ADVENTVS AVG and ADVENTVI AVG ITALIAE.

In short, you're welcome to consider the ADVENTVS AVG coins a postscript to the so-called Travel Series rather than part of it. And I will continue to think of them as the conclusion to the Travel Series. I don't think there's a wrong answer.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 2

Donna,

I am not attempting to exclude ADVENTVS AVG and FORTVNAE REDVCI from the travel series; just saying that it does not seem to me certain that these two types form part of the same issue. Maybe yes, maybe no. I agree that they probably commemorate the same event, Hadrian's return to Rome, and that they were probably struck at about the same time.

There are still a lot of open questions about the chronology of Hadrian's types between 130 and 138. Hopefully Beckmann's forthcoming study of the die sequence  of the aurei of this period will make things clearer!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • Benefactor

[I have moved this post to the thread where I originally intended to place it, together with my other coins from the Travel Series.]

One of my two recently-purchased denarii from the Hadrian Travel Series (or "Provinces cycle," to use RIC II.3's terminology) arrived yesterday.

Hadrian AR Denarius, Travel Series, Rome Mint, 130-133 AD (according to RIC II.3 p. 173: Group 10, “Provinces Cyle”) [136 AD according to Sear RCV II p. 146]. Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right with drapery covering cuirass, viewed from behind, right shoulder forward, HADRIANVS – AVG COS III PP / Rev. Germania standing facing with head right, holding spear in right hand and resting left hand on shield, GER – MANIA. RIC II. 3 1525 & Pl. 32 (2019 ed.), RSC II 806b, BMCRE Hadrian 839, Strack 301, Sear RCV II 3496 (obv. bust var.). 17.5 mm., 3.15 g. Purchased from Gorny & Mosch Auction 289, 11 Oct. 2022, Lot 819.

image.jpeg.f9726e7ed651c8f9b823209ecebd3b5f.jpeg 

Described as  "dunkle Tönung," and actually somewhat darker than this photo in hand. Interesting little projection at about 6:00 on the obverse and 12:00 on the reverse. Germania is certainly more warlike than the average provincial personification in the series, and shows none of the subservience displayed by many.

• Like 8

• Benefactor
On 10/27/2022 at 4:45 PM, DonnaML said:

Germania is certainly more warlike than the average provincial personification in the series, and shows none of the subservience displayed by many.

In that regard, I recently browsed through all of the Travel Series descriptions and plates in RIC II.3, and out of all of them I could find only one other example of a provincial personification holding a spear. And even that one is seated. See the rare sestertii and dupondii depicting Britannia seated with a shield and transverse spear (like the early modern British coins depicting Britannia before she was changed to hold a trident instead), catalogued at RIC II.3 1631-1634. @Nap posted an example above; see also this example sold by CNG (not mine):

image.jpeg.deb49e2d998f1d525d7009bc4d308e11.jpeg

Most believe that Britannia steps with her right foot on a pile of rocks, but some apparently see a barbarian with an enormous nose squatting right! At least in this case, I think the latter interpretation may represent a severe case of pareidolia.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 11

• Benefactor

My ninth coin that I consider to be part of (or at least closely related to) the Travel Series -- including both the FELICITATI AVGVSTI and ADVENTVS AVG types at the beginning and end of the series -- arrived the other day.

Hadrian AR Denarius, Travel Series, Rome Mint, 130-133 AD (according to RIC II.3 p. 173: Group 10, “Provinces Cycle”) [136 AD according to Sear RCV II p. 150]. Obv. Laureate and draped bust right, viewed from behind, HADRIANVS – AVG COS III PP / Rev. Hadrian togate, standing left, holding volumen (scroll) in left hand; he clasps right hands with Hispania to raise her from her kneeling position, right, holding an olive branch over her left shoulder, with a rabbit crouching between them, right; RESTITVTORI – HISPANIAE. RIC II.3 Hadrian 1582 (at p. 180)  & Pl. 35 (2019 edition); old RIC II Hadrian 327 (1926 ed.); RSC II Hadrian 1260a (rev. ill. p. 152); BMCRE III Hadrian 890 [BM Collection 1939,0109.10]; Sear RCV II 3535 (obv. bust var., rev. ill. p. 150). 16.5 mm., 3.32 g., 6 h. Purchased from CNG (Classical Numismatic Group, LLC) Electronic Auction 525, 20 Oct. 2022, Lot 1140; ex. “Cloudsley Collection,” originally purchased at retail from Spink & Son, Ltd. (with old Spink ticket & envelope).

image.jpeg.fe31b01f66e1c6a5b6f32799e9c42d98.jpeg

I decided to bid on this coin because of its nice overall condition, despite the fact that on the reverse Hadrian appears either not to have a face, or to be wearing a Halloween mask! Plus, the rabbit on this coin is a lot more recognizable as such than most of the Travel Series Hispania coins I've seen. I had no idea before I started collecting ancient coins that the Spanish rabbit -- as large and ferocious as I'm sure it was -- was ever the symbol of that land. 

In case anyone's wondering, I found nothing whatsoever about the Cloudsley Collection. I was more impressed by the Spink provenance, even though it's undated!

As always, other members' examples of the Travel Series/"Provinces Cycle" series are more than welcome.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

@DonnaML..

What a beautiful looking coin!

Wonderful old cabinet toning...

Hmmmm the rabbit...Here you go..

Spain is known as the “Land of Rabbits.” It was named by the Carthaginians somewhere around 300 B.C. They called it Ispania (sphan, meaning “rabbit.”) Evidently, there was an abundance of rabbits that roamed the land back then. The Romans, when they arrived, decided to keep the name, calling it Hispania.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor
6 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

@DonnaML..

What a beautiful looking coin!

Wonderful old cabinet toning...

Hmmmm the rabbit...Here you go..

Spain is known as the “Land of Rabbits.” It was named by the Carthaginians somewhere around 300 B.C. They called it Ispania (sphan, meaning “rabbit.”) Evidently, there was an abundance of rabbits that roamed the land back then. The Romans, when they arrived, decided to keep the name, calling it Hispania.

Thanks! I didn't realize that that's where the name "Hispania" comes from. Is Spain still full of rabbits, or have they all been eaten by now? Do they still appear on Spanish coins?

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 4:57 PM, Romancollector said:

Here's my only travel denarius. It features the personification of Egypt, ex Sternberg Auction III (1974)

I have that catalog and looked up the PR--2100 CHF + 10%. The Swiss Franc was worth only 32 cents the day that auction closed (Nov. 30, 1974) and now it is almost exactly 1.00 dollar. That is evidence about whether great ancient coins always go up in value. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 4:41 AM, Nap said:

There is another location- Pannonia- which is only found on Aelius Caesar's coins. 

I have a sestertius and an as of Aelius with PANNONIA.

Aelius3sestPANNONIA9878.jpg.725b6707692a52ce0c96e0a73dcd2931.jpg

30 mm. 
L AELIVS CAESAR
TR POT COS II, PANNONIA across field, S C
Struck 137 at Rome. Old RIC (Hadrian) 1059.  Sear II 3981.

Aelius3asPANNONIA1123.jpg.401d5cdf2ce43653c3e54167f1bd6d53.jpg

25 mm. 10.24 grams.
L AELIVS CAESAR
TR POT COS II, PANNONIA across field, S C
Old RIC 1071a "137 AD". Sear II 3988.  

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

Thanks! I didn't realize that that's where the name "Hispania" comes from. Is Spain still full of rabbits, or have they all been eaten by now? Do they still appear on Spanish coins?

99% of the Spanish population don't know this....Yes rabbits everywhere at least where I live...There has been problems with myxomatosis so although rabbit is quite high on the menu they're mostly raised domestically....Good question on the coin depictions...None that I know of?

• Like 1

image.png.516c99eecb483b4d0cb0ec6a5b9c0694.png

Publius Aelius Hadrianus as Imperator Caesar Traianus Hadrianus Augustus
Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 129/130 AD
Material: Silver, Diameter: 19mm, Weight: 3.26g, Mint: Rome
Reference: RIC II, Part 3 (second edition) Hadrian 1084
Obverse: Bust of Hadrian, draped and cuirassed, left, viewed from rear or side. The Inscription reads: HADRIANVS AVGVSTVS for Hadrianus Augustus.

Reverse: Ship, left, sometimes with figurehead (Triton?). The Inscription reads: FELICITATI AVG COS III P P for Felicitati Augusti, Consul Tertium, Pater Patriae (To the good fortune of the Augustus, consul for the third time, father of the nation).

I got this one - my only one.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 7

I don't know if this qualifies as part of the 'Travel Series', but (here goes . . . )

Hadrian. AD 117-138. Æ Sestertius (31mm, 26.41 g). Rome mint. Struck AD 134-138.

Laureate and draped bust right, seen from behind

Fortuna standing left, holding patera and cornucopia.

RIC II 760 var.; BMCRE 1514; Cohen 772; Banti 428.

Magical_Snap_-_2022.11.11_11.36_-_004-removebg-preview.png

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 6

• Benefactor
37 minutes ago, Topcat7 said:

I don't know if this qualifies as part of the 'Travel Series', but (here goes . . . )

Hadrian. AD 117-138. Æ Sestertius (31mm, 26.41 g). Rome mint. Struck AD 134-138.

Laureate and draped bust right, seen from behind

Fortuna standing left, holding patera and cornucopia.

RIC II 760 var.; BMCRE 1514; Cohen 772; Banti 428.

Magical_Snap_-_2022.11.11_11.36_-_004-removebg-preview.png

I don't think it does, but that's OK. It's a nice-looking coin anyway!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DonnaML said:

I don't think it does, but that's OK. It's a nice-looking coin anyway!

Well, Donna. I had never heard of Hadrian's "Travel Series" until I saw your post, (thank-you), so, always willing to learn, I went searching.

I came across an article that helped me and (if I am allowed), I will put the link up to help others, (if they wish).

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1069097/the-travel-series-coins-of-hadrian

Thank you, again.

Edited by Topcat7
  • Like 2

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Topcat7 said:

Well, Donna. I had never heard of Hadrian's "Travel Series" until I saw your post, (thank-you), so, always willing to learn, I went searching.

I came across an article that helped me and (if I am allowed), I will put the link up to help others, (if they wish).

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1069097/the-travel-series-coins-of-hadrian

Thank you, again.

A very good article, with some impressive coins in the author's collection. Thanks for posting it. 

• Like 1