Roman Coins In Rome!

AncientNumis

18 hours ago, Leo said:

I tried buying a coin in Rome, but all stores were so outrageously overpriced that I just decided to see the beautiful scenery and art instead 🙂

I think this happens at any tourist spot. If it is serious dealer, and some tourist spots have serious dealers, they may well accept a much lower and more realistic price if you demonstrate you know the market and the coin. They can sell the ignorant tourists come other coin. However, the time spend proving you are not just arguing about the price--like a tourist might--rather actually knowledgeable and offering a realistic price, may not be worth it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Etcherdude said:

If your defaced number 6 was in a Greek museum, @AncientNumis you’d be correct in calling him Heracles. 

Ah ok you're right. Sorry - I always tend to call him Herakles which is a bit weird, even if he's Roman. Should call him Hercules in this case

Edited by AncientNumis
  • Like 1

Sorry for being overly critical @AncientNumis

I should have recognized that tufa wall and the clean lines of the ceiling above as being from the recent additions to the Capitoline museum.

On second thought, your Photo 10 doesn’t show people on the Via Imperiale (it is obviously a narrow walkway, not a wide boulevard they’re walking on). It could be, as you say, part of the Palatine, but I think it is part of the Roman Forum, taken from the vantage point of the Via Imperiale.

Viva Roma!

• Like 1

Well, I was. The site is only partly excavated. The modern town still built on top.
You can still see interiors extant, 2nd stories, and "feel" the streets. Different from Pompeii and usually not as crowded.

Boat houses, where the inhabitants sought shelter in vain. The actual beach i a few hundred meters away nowadays.

P1030237.thumb.JPG.200496fd6bf2dd1719c911eaa31e173b.JPG

Second floor

P1030267.thumb.JPG.3f1b7f2d502a05c8302f361163dd47b4.JPG

A view of a street

P1030317.thumb.JPG.85fff1dd4b9ef2b4835e62fbd42088b2.JPG

Old and new

P1030336.thumb.JPG.261778bdfb6e52f7e9b782fbd0389197.JPG

Regards

Klaus

P1030342.JPG

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Dwarf said:

Well, I was. The site is only partly excavated. The modern town still built on top.
You can still see interiors extant, 2nd stories, and "feel" the streets. Different from Pompeii and usually not as crowded.

Boat houses, where the inhabitants sought shelter in vain. The actual beach i a few hundred meters away nowadays.

P1030237.thumb.JPG.200496fd6bf2dd1719c911eaa31e173b.JPG

Second floor

P1030267.thumb.JPG.3f1b7f2d502a05c8302f361163dd47b4.JPG

A view of a street

P1030317.thumb.JPG.85fff1dd4b9ef2b4835e62fbd42088b2.JPG

Old and new

P1030336.thumb.JPG.261778bdfb6e52f7e9b782fbd0389197.JPG

Regards

Klaus

P1030342.JPG

Wow - that looks nice! Really great that you can see old and new at the same time - and from the photos seems like it's not too busy as you say.  Would you recommend visiting it, did you enjoy it?

Edited by AncientNumis

@AncientNumis yes I’ve been there.

As @Dwarf’s picture shows there is carbonized wood in some of the buildings. Wooden furnishings still survive inside houses as well.

Pompeii was covered with ash but Herculaneum was covered with lava, as much as 60 feet in places. That and the presence of a living namesake town built above make excavation difficult.

• Like 1