The Alexander The Great Tetradrachm (Coin breakdown #3)

And we got to another iconic coin for the third episode of my 'Coin breakdown' series 🙂 

I think almost every ancient coin collector has at least one coin from Alexander or plans to have one. Enjoy!

P.S. I have used my own coin (as always), so some explanations of the reverse are specific to my coin, but I have inserted some examples from different ones, just to give a taste of the variety of this iconic type!

Alexanderfinaleconfirma-LQ.jpg.ffe7d7854df6056bfe72615fbc55f005.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Nice! Some other details you could potentially include:

• Crossed legs vs uncrossed legs. Although there are exceptions, crossed legs more often means posthumous while uncrossed legs typically means lifetime.
  • The inclusion of "Basileus", more typical on eastern and posthumous issues

My Egyptian example.

Memphis.jpg.de1c3dc6a8bf0248d0369b248f0b1021.jpg

Egypt, Ptolemy I as satrap
with name and types of Alexander III
Memphis, c. 323/2 BCE
AR Tetradrachm, 16.09g
bv: Head of young Herakles r. wearing lionskin headdress.
Rx: AΛEΞANΔPoY Zeus seated l. holding eagle and scepter, in l. field, head of Amun-Ra (as ram) r., wearing double-plume crown, monogram under throne
CPE-4, Price-3964
 Ex NFA

Here's one where the tiny letters for "Nikokles" are embedded in the lion's mane, though only traces of them are visible on my example.

Nikokles.jpg.ad49cdd03fb5768e7f2aaafd2fb8c203.jpg

Nikokles of Cyprus
AR silver tetradrachm
Struck at Paphos, Cyprus, 325-317 BCE
Head of Herakles right, wearing lion’s skin headdress; on lion’s mane, faint letters NIKOKΛEOYΣ at the highest points (and as such worn nearly illegible).
Reverse – BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY Zeus seated left; holding eagle in right hand and sceptre in left; ΠΑΦ monogram for Paphos in left field, and below the throne, a laurel spring.
Price 3123. May, Paphos 7, pl. 1, 9. Tziambazis 11. Very rare. 26mm, 17.0g

• Like 11

2 hours ago, AETHER said:

which mint? susa? 

Price 3613, probably Babylon or Susa, or a moving mint from Babylon to Susa, depending on different things I've read 🙂 

2 hours ago, kirispupis said:

Nice! Some other details you could potentially include:

• Crossed legs vs uncrossed legs. Although there are exceptions, crossed legs more often means posthumous while uncrossed legs typically means lifetime.
  • The inclusion of "Basileus", more typical on eastern and posthumous issues

My Egyptian example.

Memphis.jpg.de1c3dc6a8bf0248d0369b248f0b1021.jpg

Egypt, Ptolemy I as satrap
with name and types of Alexander III
Memphis, c. 323/2 BCE
AR Tetradrachm, 16.09g
bv: Head of young Herakles r. wearing lionskin headdress.
Rx: AΛEΞANΔPoY Zeus seated l. holding eagle and scepter, in l. field, head of Amun-Ra (as ram) r., wearing double-plume crown, monogram under throne
CPE-4, Price-3964
 Ex NFA

Here's one where the tiny letters for "Nikokles" are embedded in the lion's mane, though only traces of them are visible on my example.

Nikokles.jpg.ad49cdd03fb5768e7f2aaafd2fb8c203.jpg

Nikokles of Cyprus
AR silver tetradrachm
Struck at Paphos, Cyprus, 325-317 BCE
Head of Herakles right, wearing lion’s skin headdress; on lion’s mane, faint letters NIKOKΛEOYΣ at the highest points (and as such worn nearly illegible).
Reverse – BAΣIΛEΩΣ AΛEΞANΔPOY Zeus seated left; holding eagle in right hand and sceptre in left; ΠΑΦ monogram for Paphos in left field, and below the throne, a laurel spring.
Price 3123. May, Paphos 7, pl. 1, 9. Tziambazis 11. Very rare. 26mm, 17.0g

Woah, so cool, thanks for sharing! And yes, I forgot to include the crossed / uncrossed legs and the 'Basileos'. I might rework this infographic and add the information in the next iteration!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CPK said:

Another great infographic @AncientCoinnoisseur, and I'd like to second what @kirispupis suggested previously - you should eventually compile these into a book!

Thank you! I will see how the project evolves and decide from there! 🙂 My dream would be to make one of those big coffee table books, like the ones from DK. It would just be a nightmare to get permission for all the pictures of the coins, hence why so far I’m trying to just use my coins / my photos of the coins!

• Like 1