Identification and dating of Egyptian amulets

Hello everybody,

After reading the nice post of Antwerpen on the identification and dating of scarabs, I am enclosing my personal method to identify and date Egyptian amulets in the attached Pdf. This complex subject may be of interest to many members. Amulets marked as Private collection DA are in mine.

Best,

Didier

Identification_and_dating.pdf

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

very interesting, I check the few ones I have. I dated this Nebthat, Greek Nephtis amulet (6 cm )in the Saitic Period, XXXVI° dynasty and I think it is right, based onthe mean of suspension. Amulets were very popular in later times, so dating in a late period is more sure than in the early times.

image.png.1bfce2e2bb867b7041cc0db0a5f9e95f.pngimage.png.2eaf87a72cc71e22cb0c044e396794c0.png

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

Posted (edited)

You are perfectly right, it is much easier to ascribe a precise Period in the Late one. However, there are a few highly specific criteria for the previous Periods or Kingdoms.

They include:

a) diagonal piercing in the Middle Kingdom, see below:

image.jpeg.5fc6e7a0127f0357fb3be3e7912913af.jpeg

b) multiple piercing in the New Kingdom, see below:

image.jpeg.30621c16b37cce8f018fc7114beb82dc.jpeg

I am not aware of any exception within the thousands of amulets I am aware of. They could be some, I may possibly have missed a few!

Best,

Didier

Edited by Didier Attaix
  • Like 2